Sailing away - The Metal Hip Club attempt the Northern Tier. - CycleBlaze

June 26, 2021

Sailing away

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Last night at the Chester city park was very noisy.  Hwy 2 follows the railroad line, so all the towns on the road are right next to the railroad line.  The cities all have roads that cross the tracks and trains blow the whistle before each road.  So there were lots of train whistles going all night.  We didn’t sleep very well.  We got up early but because we were camping it took a while to pack up.  We rode to the only grocery store to get breakfast sandwiches for breakfast and a burrito for lunch.  After all that we started our ride at 8:10.  The day was sunny and warm, with highs expected in the mid-80’s and windy with gusts up to 30 mph.   Our goal today was the town of Havre which was 60 miles away.  The first 5 miles were up hill and into the wind.  We thought we were in for a long hot hard ride today.  After 5 miles the road turned such that the wind was to our back and it was mostly downhill the rest of the day.   We started cranking out the miles, felt like we were sailing along the breeze.

Today’s route was little different because we had small towns every 6 to 8 miles.  These towns were very small with population from 55 people to 250 people.  Most of the towns had no services, but some had bars.  After 20 miles in the town of Rudyard, there was a little diner called sugar shack.  We were there before they opened but they were nice and sold us a couple of cold drinks.  After another 10 miles we ate our lunch in Gildford under a sign that honored the town state championships.  The next stop for cold drinks was after 15 miles at a small bar.  After that we had a 12 mile ride into the town of Havre. Since we did not sleep well last night and it was going to be hot we decided to get a hotel for the night.

Tomorrow is going to be an average mileage of 45 miles to the town of Harlem.

Town of Chester
Heart 0 Comment 0
Breakfast.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Sugar Shack diner
Heart 0 Comment 0
Pronghorns Wildlife.
Heart 0 Comment 1
Bill ShaneyfeltPronghorns

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pronghorn
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Heart 2 Comment 0
Lunch.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Need a shave.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
After every ride a person needs a fu-fu drink.
Heart 1 Comment 0
All cleaned up.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 62 miles (100 km)
Total: 1,104 miles (1,777 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 5
Comment on this entry Comment 0