Running from the rain - The Metal Hip Club attempt the Northern Tier. - CycleBlaze

August 12, 2021

Running from the rain

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

When we went to bed last night the thunderstorms were supposed to start at 1 pm today. We got up early to try to beat the storms. When we got up the forecast moved the storms to 4 pm.   We started riding at 7:30. While we had a couple of rain drops through out the day, it never did storm today. The weather was hot and humid, but, it was cloudy most of the day so that kept the temperatures lower than it could have been. 

We rode on the trail all day today. We followed it around Rochester, NY. The trail today was very enjoyable. It was mostly packed gravel, but, there were sections that were paved , mostly through small towns. There were other sections that were two tracked and some sections that were single track through woods. The variety of trail and types of terrain made riding the trail very enjoyable. 

On the trail we saw many other bike tourers that were doing short rides on the trail. We talked to one couple from Maine that were riding the trail from Niagara Falls to Albany, NY.  We met them at an REI store that was on the trail. We exchanged stories and tips on touring. It was nice talking to them. 

We rode for 33 miles and then stopped for lunch at a town named Freeport. After lunch we had about 20 miles left. We got into Newark around 2:30 and checked into our hotel. Tomorrow we leave the canal and start riding toward Lake Ontario. We will be camping at a state park in Fair Haven. It is supposed to rain sometime tomorrow or tomorrow night.   We expect to get wet. 

Early morning on the canal trail
Heart 0 Comment 0
Cute boats on the canal.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 1
Jeanna & Kerry SmithKerry and I have thought it would be fun to travel in the canal in one of those boats with bicycles onboard.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Heart 0 Comment 0
A lock on the trail. Lock number 32
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
The intersection of the canal and the Genesee River. Turn north on the Genesee and you can boat up to Lake Ontario.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Pre dinner beer.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Last view of the canal. We leave the canal tomorrow morning and ride up to Lake Ontario.
Heart 2 Comment 0

Today's ride: 55 miles (89 km)
Total: 3,378 miles (5,436 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 4
Comment on this entry Comment 1
Jeanna & Kerry SmithYou have ridden what we think is the very best part of the Erie Canal trail. The trail, the towns and the history are so enjoyable. I hope you stay dry this weekend!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago