Rock & Rye’ing old romping grounds. - The Metal Hip Club attempt the Northern Tier. - CycleBlaze

August 2, 2021

Rock & Rye’ing old romping grounds.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today was the first day of riding without Doug. We missed him today. He was a good addition to our team for a few days. He rode really well and we enjoyed his company. The club bylaws do not allow him to be an official Metal Hip club member because he doesn’t have any Metal in his hips. Since he was such a great addition to our team and rode so well for four days, he is now an honorary member (and we hope he never becomes an official member).  

We took our time getting ready this morning and rolled away from Colleen and Tim’s house a little after 8 am. We were sad to leave. We have had a great couple of days with Colleen and Tim. They treated  us like kings.  We love the food that we get when we are home. We grew up in a Polish neighborhood, so we love to eat Polish food like pierogies, city chicken, meatballs with gravy and golumpki. We had all that on Saturday.  We like traditional Detroit coney dogs and ice cream sundaes with Saunders fudge. We had all that on Sunday. I personally love a soda pop that is distributed in Michigan. It is Faygo Rock & Rye. Colleen and Tim got me several bottles over the weekend.  We ate good and drank good, visited with family and friends. Had a great rest day. 

The route for the day was about 85% on bike paths. This is great because we felt the ride into town was a bit dangerous and was not pleasant.   The weather was perfect for riding, mostly sunny, highs in the mid-70s, and a slight tail wind. We had about 1/2 mile of road riding and then we were on the trail. The first 20 miles wind through neighborhoods and parks and power lines. After 20 miles we got onto the I-275 metro trail that followed the interstate for 20 miles. This trail started out really bumpy, some of the bumps were very large, they jarred your teeth.  The second half of the trail was much smoother. The trail went within a mile of my Mom’s apartment. We gave my sister Kathi a call, she is staying with Mom for a few days, and they met us for our lunch break. It was very nice visiting with Mom and Kathi one more time. 

After lunch we kept following the trail. After a few miles it turned onto Hines Drive. This area is near where I grew up. Hines Drive is a great road for bike riding. I spent many days in Hines Park and riding bike on Hines Drive. This section of the ride brought back many memories. We kept going south on the trail and got onto roads for the last 8 miles. We are now in a Best Western hotel in Woodhaven. 

Tomorrow we will be in Ohio. We are planning on camping at Maumee State Park. The next day we will get back on the northern tier route. 

Morning bike path. The air line bike trail.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Neat bike bridge over the interstate
Heart 0 Comment 0
I275 metro link bike trail. Follows along the interstate for 20 miles
Heart 0 Comment 0
Detroit, car capital of the world, have interstates every where.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Lunch with Mom
Heart 0 Comment 0
Old training road, Hines Drive
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Last break for the day.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 63 miles (101 km)
Total: 2,833 miles (4,559 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0