Omg that was difficult - w/ pictures - The Metal Hip Club attempt the Northern Tier. - CycleBlaze

June 4, 2021

Omg that was difficult - w/ pictures

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 2
Rachel and Patrick HugensWhat are you using for your maps? Nice elevation map. Racpat
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Terry OBrienTo Rachel and Patrick HugensThis elevation picture is from Strava. For navigation we have adventure cycling paper maps and we use RideWithGPS app. Janet found gpx from someone that rode the northern tier previously and downloaded them into RideWithGPS. We also use google maps for distance estimates.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago


Today we crossed 2 mountain passes. We started riding at 8 am and conquered Washington pass 8.5 hours later at 4:30 pm after climbing for 30 miles.  We made it to Winthrop at 8pm for 12 hours of riding. Most of the climbing was at 6% gradient, with several spots at 9% and 8%. One small spot on the road was at 10.6% gradient. A tough day of riding.  Very proud that we made it up and over, especially proud of Janet.

Last night Ross’s friend from Seattle, Brendan, stayed near us in the Colonial Creek campground.  Brendan is Ross’s skiing buddy and went to high school with Ross.   The plan was for Brendan to ride up to the pass and then turn around and ride back to his truck and return home. Unfortunately, due to the slow riding of us senior touring members, Brendan had to turn back just prior to Rainy pass.  It was a real treat to have Brendan come visit us and ride with us for a few hours.  One of the really cool things about having Brendan and Ross on the ride is that they are both back country skiers.  On weekends they drive up to these passes and climb up into the peaks of the mountains and then ski down.  We will be sitting at a rest and they will point up to a given mountain top and say “See that coulee to the right, last week we skied that coulee”.  Janet and I look at each other and say to Ross “I wish you did not tell me that”.  Sometimes it is better if parents don’t know what their kids do.

Ross and Brendan
Heart 1 Comment 0

On the way up the pass we met two girls who are also riding to Maine.  We leap frogged them as we went up the pass and we were resting at the top of the passes with them.  We expect that we will run into them multiple times over the next couple of months.

After the pass we had a 20 mile downhill to the small town of Mazama where we stopped and had chocolate milk ( our go to recovery drink) and fish tacos.  Then it was a 15 mile slightly downhill ride to Winthrop.  Luckily the wind was at our backs or that last ride would have been brutal.

The big money question is why would you willingly subject yourself to that suffering?

The scenery was OMG beautiful.  Up among the peaks, working hard but being in the midst of the beautiful scenery is almost a spiritual event.  When you do it in a car, you see the peaks for a minute or so.  When you ride on a bike, you can look at a given peak for 15 minutes.  It is truly amazing.

We are feeing pretty beat up, so tomorrow is going to be a day off, rest day.  We have 4 more passes to climb in the next week and we will enjoy them much more if we rest.

Internet is spotty and slow in this area.  I may miss some days of posting but will catch up when internet is better.  I will also post pictures when it is better.  Check back.

Diablo lake, colonial creek campground is on the shore of this lake.
Heart 5 Comment 0
Janet climbing. My favorite picture!
Heart 8 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Made it to Rainy Pass
Heart 2 Comment 0
Rainy pass
Heart 0 Comment 0
Done climbing
Heart 1 Comment 0
Washington pass
Heart 1 Comment 0
Going down
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Awesome view.
Heart 2 Comment 0
I actually do ride the bike. I post pictures of Janet grimacing on the climb and me smiling on the downhill.
Heart 5 Comment 4
Rachel and Patrick HugensHi, we just arrived in Winthrop and staying at WS David and Betsy....also do you wear shirts with "behind bars" by any chance?? We had friends we were going to try connect with, but they aren't on bikes, and they met cyclists in Winthrop....We also are taking a rest day. We discovered why Rainy Pass is called Rainy pass. Happy Cycling. Maybe we will meet up some day, when you've taken another a rest day. Racpat
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Terry OBrienTo Rachel and Patrick HugensSorry to hear you had a rainy day for the passes. We feel very fortunate to have good weather so far.
Have you run into any fellow bike tourers? We met a guy going to Minnesota and two girls going to Maine.
We do not have shirts with behind bars. We all have a blue “pedal America “ jersey.
We are doing loup loup tomorrow and will end up in Omak. The following day we are doing a short ride to Tonasek. Perhaps we can meet up there?

Safe travels!! Hope the weather is better for you!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Rachel and Patrick HugensTo Terry OBrienAhh, still a day ahead, taking rest day today, Sunday in Winthrop and omak on monday. Will you stay at Bacon hostel in Colville?
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Terry OBrienTo Rachel and Patrick HugensColville is a few days away. Haven’t planned our sleeping arrangements that far ahead. But it is highly likely we will stay at the hostel
Reply to this comment
2 years ago


Today's ride: 66 miles (106 km)
Total: 226 miles (364 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 9
Comment on this entry Comment 3
Mary Ann YoungHi Terry,
I met you at pickleball your last day when you brought donuts. I am really enjoying your journal entries.
The photos are amazing. I just read Janet’s entry, wow she’s an amazing trooper. Y’all stay safe and enjoy. 🙏
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Terry OBrienTo Mary Ann YoungThanks Mary for the encouragement!!!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Ron SuchanekGreat shots! We were in that area a couple weeks ago (road trip).
You might run into RacPat (Rachel and Patrick Hugens) at some point.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago