Mission Accomplished - The Metal Hip Club attempt the Northern Tier. - CycleBlaze

July 26, 2021

Mission Accomplished

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Yesterday was a rest day and we had a wonderful time in Appleton. The biggest news is that Janet went dress shopping and found one and bought it.  Mission accomplished, it has been an item that has been haunting us since the start of the trip. It is a great relief that she found one and it is a very beautiful dress. 

We had a busy rest day. We stayed at nephew Michael and Vicki’s house and they went all out to make us comfortable. We really appreciate all the effort they did to ensure we had a great time in Appleton. We had dinner on Saturday with niece Kris and Cory. On Sunday we did some bike maintenance, went bowling, then had a family get together at Michael and Vicki’s. Our family in Appleton really went all out to host us and show us a good time. We really appreciate their generosity and had a great time in Appleton!!


Today’s ride plan was a short ride to Manitowoc.  We packed up and got riding at about 7:45. Our first stop was a small cafe for breakfast with Janet’s brother Dale and wife Gail. The cafe was about 10 miles away. The ride was really fast because the terrain was flat and we had a good tailwind. We had a wonderful breakfast with them. After breakfast we had about a 25 mile ride left. We still had the tailwind so we road pretty fast.  After 20 miles we stopped in a C-store for some Gatorade and then went the final 7 miles. Our first stop was at the local bicycle shop to get Janet’s bike looked at. They looked it over and said it was fine. The shop “Broken Spoke Bike Shop” is a great shop and they were super nice to us. After the bike shop we went to the hotel and checked in. We cleaned up and then hit the town.  One tip, if you want a good sample of Wisconsin culture go to you tube and look up Manitowoc Minute by Charlie Berens.  He is very funny. 

Tomorrow we take the ferry into Michigan. We will add a new member to our team. My brother Doug is meeting us in Ludington and is going to join us until we reach Detroit. We are excited to have Doug join us for a week. 

Appleton crew.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rest day homestead
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Manitowac
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
The SS Badger leaving port. We will be on the ferry tomorrow.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Manitowac built submarines during WW2 and this one is to commemorate the service of the sub builders.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
A pub we visited.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 38 miles (61 km)
Total: 2,507 miles (4,035 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 5
Comment on this entry Comment 1
Robert FlynnI hope you have calm crossing on the Badger and welcome to Pure Michigan . It looks like if you are going to Detroit , you will be able to be on trails a good portion of the way . Have a safe journey through our state .
Reply to this comment
2 years ago