Leaving Medora and the interstate - The Metal Hip Club attempt the Northern Tier. - CycleBlaze

July 5, 2021

Leaving Medora and the interstate

Heart 0 Comment 2
Thomas MckinleyWe are enjoying your journal. I heard you might come through northern Wisconsin? We re spending lots of time at our cabin in Cable Wisconsin. If you come near us, let me know. We'd love to meet you and provide some support for your adventure.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Terry OBrienTo Thomas MckinleyHi Tom,
Good to hear from you and I am glad you are enjoying the journal. We will be near Cable some time between July 20 and July 27. We will contact you when we are getting near the area and we would love to see you if it works out. Thanks Tom!
Terry
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today’s forecast was for warm temperatures until early afternoon and then some storms will come through and break the heat wave.  We got an early start again, riding on the road by 5:30 am.  The first part of the ride was a 5 mile climb out of the canyon where Medora is.  The first half of today’s ride is on the interstate,  but the second half of the ride is on a secondary road.  We start the climb in the early morning coolness and we make good progress.  The scenery is very nice with buttes and canyons all around us.  We climb for 5 miles and then take the exit to the painted canyon scenic overlook.  The overlook has a bathroom (thank goodness) and we take several pictures of the canyon.  We get on the road and ride another 10 miles to the exit for Belfield.  This is where we leave the interstate and get onto a secondary road.   There is a convenience store so we take a break for some chocolate milk (our favorite) and some breakfast treats.  We continue on the secondary road, which runs parallel to the interstate.  The secondary road has very little traffic, but it does go up and down more than the interstate.  As we get close to our destination the Alpaca tour group sag trucks pass us by and honk and wave.  Just before town the first Alpaca rider passes us.  We will not see this group anymore but it has been fun talking to the riders periodically over the past week.  We arrive at our hotel in Dickinson at 10:30 and they let us check in.


I want to take a few lines to talk about how great it has been to have Ross along for our trip.  Ross is a very strong and fast rider.  Typically he is miles ahead of the senior members of the team.  He waits about every 10 miles or if there is a major turn or store.  Many days we see him for a few minutes about 3 or 4 times during the ride.  It is very nice of him to wait because sometimes it can be a significant wait time and many times it is hot and buggy.  Over the past week Ross has changed the way he rides.  Because the days have been so hot and difficult, Ross has ridden with us.  He has been very supportive riding with us, offering support, encouragement, riding lead to break the wind and just having a great attitude.   It has been very helpful in getting us through some difficult days and I am very proud of him and so grateful he is along for the adventure.


Tomorrow is a rest day, so I will not be posting a journal entry.  After our rest day we will head to the town of Glen Ullen.  We will also resume camping at night.

Leaving Medora.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Painted Canyon.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Image not found :(
Heart 0 Comment 0
Image not found :(
Heart 0 Comment 0
My glove has a blow out. I will keep wearing them until the hole is too large. I do have a spare set of gloves.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Gloves were almost new when I left. They have gotten pretty beat up during the trip.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 40 miles (64 km)
Total: 1,527 miles (2,457 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 4
Comment on this entry Comment 0