Janet has a winey day. - The Metal Hip Club attempt the Northern Tier. - CycleBlaze

August 13, 2021

Janet has a winey day.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0


Today was another hot and humid day. We had a short day planned because we made our camping reservation a few days ago so we could be sure we had a place to stay on the weekend.  The downside of making advance reservations is that you may end up with a distance to ride that is not exactly what you would like. The weather forecast was a cold front coming through tonight, during the day chance thunderstorms popping up at any time.  We got started riding at about 8:00. There was nothing really special about the ride today. It was hot and we had a couple of hills. We made good time and got to our destination town of Fair Haven at about 11:15. There was a nice winery about 3 miles out of town and decided to go there for lunch.   We rode out to the winery and they had a wood fire pizza oven. We got some pizza and wine and had a leisurely lunch. As we finished lunch we heard thunder and we saw some bad stuff on our weather apps. We were under a nice pavilion so we decided to hang out some more. Around 2:15 a storm comes through and lasted about 30 minutes. At about 3 pm we left and rode the 4 miles to the state park. We set up camp and take showers. 

After cleaning up we decide to walk about a mile to a state park cafe. When we got to the cafe we found out is was closed due to lack of personnel, specifically a cook.   So we walked back to camp.  Fortunately we bought some freeze dried food packs at the REI that was on the Erie Canal in Rochester. They are not gourmet, but are edible. 

After dinner we took a walk around the campground. We have a problem on nights like this. It is so hot and humid that we want to delay going in the tent. But there are mosquitoes that drive you into the tent.  We went into our tents at dark and laid on our pads and sweat for a while.   Our camp site was right next to a site that had 6 tents set up in a circle, about a cord of fire wood and several coolers. Sure enough it was party central. It was like camping in the middle of a bar. They had a guitar and camp fire karaoke until midnight. Then started several hours of drunken loud talking and laughing highlighted by a near fight and shouts and lots of profanity.  I keep hoping for the cold front to come through and start storming so these inconsiderate drunks would be driven into their tents. The bar closed about 2 am and about 15 minutes later it started storming.  It was not a great sleeping night. 

The road today.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Apple orchards
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Colloca Winery
Heart 0 Comment 0
Hanging out at the winery.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Camp site
Heart 0 Comment 0
Lake Ontario
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Night view of campgrounds
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 44 miles (71 km)
Total: 3,422 miles (5,507 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 0