Graduation day in Maine - The Metal Hip Club attempt the Northern Tier. - CycleBlaze

August 21, 2021

Graduation day in Maine

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Getting ready to ride one more time.
Heart 0 Comment 0
On the trail
Heart 0 Comment 0
This is our photo of the New Hampshire state sign
Heart 0 Comment 0
Here is the photo of the Maine state sign
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
End of the line photos
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

The weather for today was sunny, hot and humid. The route for the day started with a 15 mile ride on busy roads. Then we got on a bike trail for 25 miles. The bike path was similar to yesterday’s bike path. A bit bumpy then smoothed out over the last half. Funny story for the day. We were riding down the path and to the right was a pond that was mostly obscure by bushes and trees.  As I am riding by I hear something big making noise in the pond. I glance over and see this big animal with long legs sloshing through the pond.  I stop and my heart starts racing.  Could it be a moose?  I have a goal of seeing the big three on the trip a bear, an elk and a moose.  I have already seen a bear and an elk.  Could I get to see a moose on the final day??  I walk my bike back to an opening to get a better view of the moose. To my dismay it turned out to be a horse. 

After getting off the trail we rode back roads into Portsmouth, NH.  Our first stop was to a sporting goods store to buy duffel bags. We are shipping our bikes back and need to have duffel bags to carry our gear so we can check them for our flight home.  After getting the bags we went through downtown Portsmouth and over the bridge to Kittery, Maine. We then rode a couple of miles looking for a place to dip our front wheels into the Atlantic.  There wasn’t anyplace that we could find, so we got as close as we could and took pictures. 

This ends our great adventure. I would really like to thank everyone who followed along the journal, who sent us comments through the entire trip that were extremely encouraging and supportive. I would like to thank all the family and friends we saw along the way, the new friends we met along the way, the fellow bike tourers we ran into and shared stories and tips. I would like to thank all the people we met who asked us about our adventure and always wished us safe travels as we left.  I’d like to thank the thousands and thousands of drivers (99.9% of them) who slowed down, gave us extra room and generally made it safe for us to share the roads with cars.  I’d like to thank our family especially Robyn and Matt and Rylan and Hillary who supported us in the adventure and were constantly giving us encouragement. 

When we started the trip we decided to try to raise funds for Feeding America, with a goal of raising $1 for every mile. We ended up riding 3884 miles and we raised $4540. We would like to thank all you amazing people who so generously donated to our fund raiser. You have enabled this trip to have extra meaning and help people in need.  People have called our trip amazing, but to me you are the amazing people.  If you have not donated and feel that is something you would like to do, here is the link:  Feeding America Go Fund Me

Finally I want to thank Ross and Janet for sharing this lifetime goal and adventure with me. It has meant so much to me to share this with you. 

We still have a couple of days before we get home on Wednesday night. We have a few days planned watching it rain in a hotel in Boston. When I get back home I will have one more journal entry giving an update on our travel home and offer a few words of perspective on the summer adventure. 

Safe Travels everyone!!!

End of the line for the tour.
Heart 2 Comment 0

Today's ride: 58 miles (93 km)
Total: 3,884 miles (6,251 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 7
Comment on this entry Comment 10
Lucy MartinCongratulations! Iโ€™ve been lurking for the entire journey, enjoyed your posts and pics, and am really happy for you guys. Thanks for sharing your travels. Inspirational ๐Ÿšด๐Ÿผโ€โ™€๏ธ๐Ÿšด๐Ÿผ๐Ÿšด๐Ÿปโ€โ™‚๏ธ
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Mike AylingWell done!
I really enjoyed the journal and Janet's updates.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Tricia GrahamCongratulations what a wonderful journey. What will I have to read in the mornings your adventures will be missed
Have a safe trip home
Tricia
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Jeanna & Kerry SmithCongratulations on your great achievement! We're glad we got to meet you along the way. Enjoy all the wonderful memories you have made.
Jeanna and Kerry
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Rich FrasierCongratulations!! This was a huge ride and I really enjoyed following along on this journal. Iโ€™m totally in awe of the 3 of you. What commitment it took to get up every morning and ride! I hope you enjoy the glow of a goal accomplished, and the heroโ€™s return to more familiar surroundings.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Rachel and Patrick HugensCongratulations! And well done! We enjoyed meeting you early on in your ride and wish you plenty of future adventures.
Racpat
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Terry OBrienTo Jeanna & Kerry SmithThank Kerry and Jeanna! It was great meeting you guys on the road. You are way more expert on long trips than us. Good luck on your ride and we will be reading your journal as you proceed.
MHC
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Terry OBrienTo Rachel and Patrick HugensHey Racpat,
Thanks Rachel and Patrick! It was a great pleasure to ride with you guys on the trip. We hope you have fun as you continue on your trip. We will continue reading your journal.

MHC
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Terry OBrienTo Rich FrasierThanks Rich! We are glad you enjoyed the journal. It makes it worthwhile to write an entry everyday when I know people are reading and enjoying.
Thanks for following along!!
MHC
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Vlad BunescuTerry, this was really inspirational! CONGRATS to all 3 of you and safe travels back home.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago