Goodbye Pennsylvania, Hello New York - The Metal Hip Club attempt the Northern Tier. - CycleBlaze

August 8, 2021

Goodbye Pennsylvania, Hello New York

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

The day started out hot and stayed hot all day. Our hotel in Erie was only a few blocks off route so we got riding on the route right away. It took a few miles to get out of the town of Erie.   We took an early break to get some food and go to the bathroom. After the break we got down to real riding. The road turned into a newly paved road for about 15 miles. It was really nice riding on the newly paved road. The region we rode through was a grape region on the shores of Lake Erie. We went through miles of grape vineyards and of course we passed several wineries. It was hard not to stop in for a glass, but, we had miles to ride. So on we pedaled.   Soon we came to the border of New York.  We were in Pennsylvania for a day.   We took the selfie picture of the state sign. 

After 35 miles we got into the town of Barcelona, which happened to have a cafe and we were hungry. We stopped in for lunch. After lunch, we ran into another couple touring, but going the other way. They were riding from Poughkeepsie to St Louis. They were lightly packed and staying in hotels the entire way. They were riding 75 miles a day. We spent about 20 minutes exchanging stories. After lunch we had 18 miles left to ride.  Our destination  for the day was Dunkirk. We got a hotel on the shore of Lake Erie and next to the town harbor. We went out for a drink and dinner.  

Tomorrow we are going to Grand Island that is near Niagara Falls. The next day we will have a short day so we can spend some time at the falls.  The weather is supposed to be really hot and humid tomorrow and there is a chance of thunderstorms the next day.  We are hoping to keep cool and dry over the next few days. 

Morning view of Lake Erie.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
First break.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Nice road
Heart 0 Comment 0
Grape vines
Heart 0 Comment 0
New state.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Lunch break
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Image not found :(
Heart 0 Comment 0
Image not found :(
Heart 0 Comment 0
Image not found :(
More grape vines.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Image not found :(
Singers on Dunkirk Harbor
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Two fisted
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Dunkirk harbor
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 54 miles (87 km)
Total: 3,179 miles (5,116 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 0