Good day to be a duck - The Metal Hip Club attempt the Northern Tier. - CycleBlaze

August 17, 2021

Good day to be a duck

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

it started raining about 3:30 am. We had a long hard day planned with over 60 miles to ride and over 3000 feet of climbing. We wanted to get an early start. It is extremely difficult to get going when you are in your sleeping bag all warm and dry, you hear the rain pouring outside with no sign of letting up. Getting motivated to start packing up when you know you are going to be cold and wet all day takes a Herculean effort.  Fortunately we have Janet on the team and she got us going this morning. We packed up and then went and hung out at the shower building eating muffins trying to stay a little dry and convince the rain to stop. We were not successful on either account. So we take off into the downpour with our rear lights blinking. Fortunately it is so miserable out that there is little traffic on the road. We go the first 10 miles and stop at a gas station for an egg sandwich.  While there Ross figures out an alternative route that will shorten our ride by 5 miles and eliminate a major climb. Sounds good to me. The road today was excellent. In the Adirondack area they take care of their roads.  All the roads today were re-paved within the last 2 years. Good thing that the road was in such good shape.  The rain was coming down so hard that our glasses were all water. Riding a downhill going 30 mph and having a totally distorted view requires good roads.

It rained all day. The only time it wasn’t raining on us was when we were taking a break at a gas station. We were totally drenched.  It wasn’t really horrible. Once you get warm after riding for a few miles and resolve that you are going to be totally wet through and through, it wasn’t so bad. 

After about 8 hours in the rain we got to our destination of Schroon Lake. We are at a motel that has an attached restaurant. We are trying to dry out our gear (ha).  The owners allowed us to use their washer and dryer to clean our kits. 

Tomorrow we cross into Vermont and end up in the town of Middlebury. 

Packing up in the rain.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Wet site. Notice all the puddles.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Riding in the rain
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Some lawn art.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 60 miles (97 km)
Total: 3,633 miles (5,847 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 3
Mike AylingWe used to call a day like that character building!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Jeanna & Kerry SmithYou guys are tough, for sure! I hope drier weather is on the way for you. I was thinking exactly what Mike said, you had a character building day. In the future, you may forget many events from this trip, but you will never forget this day!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Terry OBrienTo Jeanna & Kerry SmithThanks Jeanna & Kerry! Words of wisdom from you two experts is greatly appreciated!!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago