Father’s Day ride - The Metal Hip Club attempt the Northern Tier. - CycleBlaze

June 20, 2021

Father’s Day ride

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

It is Father’s Day and I want to give a shout-out to my kids.  Ross has been such a great addition to our trip.  He is the main navigator, cook and grocery shopper.  He has been such an encouraging person on the trip, always with a “way to go” or a “woohoo” when we come riding up.  We could not have done this trip without Robyn’s (and Matt’s) help.  She is taking care of our canine family member Remington. She is also taking care of our mail and provides lots of encouragement whenever we talk.  She is also a great shoulder to lean on for Janet.  Rylan (and Hilary) have also been a source of great encouragement.  Rylan immediately gives us kudos on our ride tracking app.  He is following our blog and is always up to date on our progress.  Whenever we talk on the phone, he is always very positive and encouraging about our progress.  We are so blessed and lucky to have the support of our children for our trip. Janet and I are very proud of them and really appreciate their support and love.  Love all of you!

Last night it rained until about 7 am this morning.  We slept in and by the time we got up,things were starting to dry out.  We had a short day planned,so we took our time packing up, trying to get everything dry.  We left the campsite around 10:30 and rode the quarter mile to our favorite breakfast place Mickey D’s.  We like them because they are fast and it is really hard to mess up pancakes.  After breakfast we got on the road.  Today’s ride was in 2 segments.  First was a 12 mile ride to Columbia Falls. This segment was also a quiet back road that was very nice.  We set a slow pace enjoying the sun and temperatures in the upper 60s to lower 70s.  We stopped in Columbia Falls for some chocolate milk and a bathroom break.  After Columbia Falls we started the next segment of today’s ride.  This segment was 17 miles and started on hwy 486.  This was a very good road in good condition and low traffic volume.  After 9 miles we turned on to a secondary road for the last 8 miles.  At around 3 pm, we pulled into Glacier Campground which is our home for the next 3 nights.  The campground is very nice.  It is $27 and has showers, laundry, our site has water and electricity (which is very very nice). We are taking a rest day tomorrow, probably go to Glacier and have a picnic lunch.  Then on Tuesday we will try to ride up Logan’s Pass on our unloaded bikes and ride back down.  The pass is not open to go to the other side and there are no cars allowed up to the pass.  We are very excited to ride the pass this way.

Today was a great day!  Yesterday’s ride left us feeling tense and drained.  Today’s ride was the complete opposite with a feeling of serenity and enjoyment.  It was a fun ride and we hope to have many more rides like it.

Happy Father’s Day everyone!!

On the road to Columbia Falls
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Columbia Falls. There are casinos everywhere in Montana!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Afternoon road.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Afternoon secondary road.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Clean shaved today.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Flathead river.
Heart 1 Comment 0
A train got in my way.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Almost to Glacier.
Heart 1 Comment 0
View from dinner place.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 31 miles (50 km)
Total: 798 miles (1,284 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 7
Comment on this entry Comment 0