Birch Bay to Larabee State Park - The Metal Hip Club attempt the Northern Tier. - CycleBlaze

May 31, 2021

Birch Bay to Larabee State Park

Heart 0 Comment 0


The big day has finally arrived and we have started our adventure.  The activities started on Sunday afternoon. Robyn our daughter and Matt her fiancé came up to visit and wish us well. In addition Ross’s friends from Seattle, Luke and Suz and Colin and Charlie came up to help send us on our way. We had a big grill out, a few adult beverages around a camp fire and lots of visiting and talking and generally a very good time.  Our son Rylan called during the festivities to wish us a safe journey. 

Monday morning started early with a big egg bake breakfast. Then it was time to load up the bikes, triple check the house to make sure it was all ready for being empty for a few months, including checking all the cameras.   Then it was time to say goodbye to our dog Remi.   This was very difficult and I am sure Remi thought we would be right back like all our bike rides.  This one is going to be a bit longer.  We are very grateful that Remi is going to be in loving company while we are gone.  Robyn and Matt are taking care of Remi along with their dogs Jaxon (who is Remi’s brother) and King Lou!  Thank you Robyn and Matt for watching our little boy. 

Next we rode a quarter mile to the Birch Bay State Park boat ramp for the dipping of the wheels ceremony. It is a tradition for cross country bike trippers to dip their rear wheel in the ocean they are leaving from and then dip their front wheels in the ocean when they arrive at their destination. We all dipped our wheels and then took lots of pictures and then it was time to really start. We had a big treat because Robyn and Matt and Colin and Charlie rode with us during the start of our trip. Unfortunately Luke and Suz had to go back to Seattle and did not ride with us.

The view of Birch Bay near the boat ramp.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Dipping the tires
Heart 4 Comment 0

The first part of the ride were on roads we have ridden many, many times.  They are quiet roads with little to no traffic.  Fortunately Mt. Baker was out today so we got views of it all day long.  After about 10 miles our accompanying riders had to turn around.  After a tearful goodbye, we continued on our journey.  We made steady progress and went through Bellingham and then stopped for lunch at an old fashion burger joint in Fairhaven (we had our first chocolate malts of the trip, I am sure there will be a few more). Next store to the burger joint was a grocery store so we stopped in to buy dinner.  We rode the remaining few miles to Larabee State Park.  We have a walk-in camping site that is very nice and we get to have showers. A good first day for the trip and we hope to have many more good days!

Robyn and Matt
Heart 1 Comment 0
Luke and Suz
Heart 0 Comment 0
Colin and Charlie
Heart 0 Comment 0
Mt Baker
Heart 1 Comment 0
Mt Baker. If you zoom on the road you can see some of our biking entourage.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Chuckanut Bay
Heart 0 Comment 0
Chuckanut Bay
Heart 0 Comment 0
Home for the night
Heart 2 Comment 0

Today's ride: 32 miles (51 km)
Total: 32 miles (51 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 11
Comment on this entry Comment 0