Big rigs rolling down the road - The Metal Hip Club attempt the Northern Tier. - CycleBlaze

July 3, 2021

Big rigs rolling down the road

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Ever since I started riding I have  enjoyed touring.  Every few years I would go on a one or two week bike tour. When I go on bike rides every few days I ride to train for a bike tour.  I was never the fastest bike rider, but, I can ride consistent for a long time.  I would rather ride slow for several hours than fast for an hour.  I told my friend Maureen that I don’t try to ride like a Ferrari but more like a semi-truck.  Slow, steady and consistent for a long time.  So today was a special day.  The route today was on I-94. I was able to take the bike touring semi-truck on the interstate rolling down the open road.  Riding on I-94 for the first time was a great experience.  The shoulder  was wide, it was clean, there was little traffic and best of all the grades were gentle.   

Today’s plan was to take a short day.  We are pretty worn out from hard riding from the previous days.  So a short day was planned.  The temperatures today will reach in the 100’s, it was 112 at 2:30.   We got an early start again, on the road at 5:30.  The temperature was in the mid-60’s and there was no wind (hurray!!!).  There was a bit of climbing today, but, with the fresh legs and cool temps we were cruising along for the morning.  The climbing wasn’t too bad and we had several downhills, so we made good time.  The destination was 27 miles away in the town of Wibaux.  We made it to town by 8:45.  The upside was that we were done with our biking before the heat.  The downside was that we could not check into our hotel until 2 pm.  We went to downtown Wibaux and had a 2nd breakfast.  Then Ross and I toured the town museum learning about Pierre Wibaux the town founder and seeing  many artifacts for the towns early history.   Then we went into another restaurant for lemonade.  Next we went to the city brewery for a beer.  After that it was time to check in to the motel.  The check in process took 2 hours and we needed to try 3 rooms before we found a room that was acceptable.  Needless to saw this is a rundown crappy hotel.  But with limited mobility and no other options, we are staying the night.

Tomorrow is another short day.  We are shooting for Medora which is 37 miles away.  We are going to be on the road early until the heat goes down a bit.

Turn on to the interstate
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
We are in butte country.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Here is our exit.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Town founder history.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Town museum
Heart 0 Comment 0
More museum.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
spent some time hanging out on the sidewalk in the shade.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 27 miles (43 km)
Total: 1,452 miles (2,337 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 5
Comment on this entry Comment 1
Jeanna & Kerry SmithWe also stayed in that rundown, crappy motel. The only thing worse would have been to have to ride farther that day!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago