Another day, another pass - The Metal Hip Club attempt the Northern Tier. - CycleBlaze

June 8, 2021

Another day, another pass

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

The morning was chilly when we woke up at 6 am.  When we have big riding days we like to get up early.  We broke camp pretty quickly and we were ready to ride by 7:45.  However, we needed to get some breakfast sandwiches and lunch sandwiches from the grocery store that did not open until 8 am.  After shopping and taking care of some bathroom duties, we were ready to ride by 8:45.  The weather was partly cloudy with a temp at a chilly mid to lower 40’s.

Today’s ride was a 24 mile ride up to Wauconda pass and then a 17 mile downhill to the town of Republic. The climb up was long (like all the pass climbs) but was not too bad.  There were sections that were steep, but other sections that were not very steep. However, the road went up the entire 24 miles.  Each mountain pass has had different characteristics. Rainey/Washington passes were mountain peaks and Loup Loup was forests.  Wauconda pass was more open range, with ranches and homesteads.

At the top of Wauconda pass we met Woody.  Woody is riding from Sedro-Wooly to Sandpoint.  He is traveling very lightly, staying in hotels every night and eating in restaurants.  Woody is staying in Republic and we had dinner with him.

The ride up went pretty good except for the logging trucks.  We really do not like logging trucks.  They drive fast, are huge and seem not to give us much room.  Today, Janet and I were in a steep section that had several S curves and no shoulder.  Of course a logging truck comes up to us from behind.  You can hear them coming from about 1/4 mile away.  Janet stopped riding and hugged the guard rail.  I was a little ahead and I was at a place that had about 2 feet of should for 6 feet.  I stopped pedaling and the truck passed me at the end of the 6 feet.  Pretty scary.

The downhilll was very nice with barely any uphill.  In no time we were in Republic and are staying in a cheap motel tonight.

Tomorrow is the final pass in Washington, Sherman pass.

On the ride up
Heart 2 Comment 1
Rachel and Patrick HugensWe had a logging truck run us off the riad
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Picture of Ross
Heart 2 Comment 0
Nice log cabin
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Break time after 20 miles
Heart 0 Comment 0
On break
Heart 0 Comment 0
Eating a sandwich
Heart 1 Comment 0
This is the town of Wauconda which is about 4 miles from the summit. The cafe/ store was closed and for sale. We have seen lots of closed businesses on the trip.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Ranch near top of pass
Heart 0 Comment 0
At the summit
Heart 0 Comment 0
Downhill
Heart 0 Comment 0
Ross ready to attack the downhill
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 1
Rachel and Patrick HugensWe met Woody on the summit of loup loup. We posted his pic, and we have friends in CO who knew him!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago

Today's ride: 41 miles (66 km)
Total: 345 miles (555 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 10
Comment on this entry Comment 1
Rachel and Patrick HugensWe met Woody on the summit of Loup Loup Pass! Racpat
Reply to this comment
2 years ago