Another character building day: hello Vermont - The Metal Hip Club attempt the Northern Tier. - CycleBlaze

August 18, 2021

Another character building day: hello Vermont

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

We got some very encouraging comments on yesterday’s post.  They mainly said days like yesterday are character building days. Well, today was another character building day. We got up to hearing the rain hitting the roof of the motel. We decided to sleep in and hope the rain passes.  When we got up we checked our weather apps. There was a big green and yellow blob right over us on the radar.   We packed up and then did more logistics planning (more on this later).  At 10:30 we had to leave so we could get our miles in for the day. As we were leaving Ross checked the weather app one more time. We had gotten 2.5 inches of rain so far this morning and there were flash flood warnings in the area. Yippee! We take off and ride in the rain, getting soaking wet. It continued to rain for most of our ride, stopping about an hour before we stopped riding. Fortunately, the rain was not as heavy as yesterday so the riding was not that bad. 


After 24 miles we stop at a C-store that has a deli so we get lunch.  We continue on and within a few miles we get to the bridge over Lake Champlain.  We stop for a couple of pictures, cross the bridge then stop for pictures at the entering Vermont sign.  

A few words on New York. I want to say how much we enjoyed our riding in New York, even the last few rainy days. We started riding in New York by riding through many miles of grape vineyards, then we went through the amazing Niagara Falls area, then we went through miles of orchards, then the historic Erie Canal.  We ended up riding through the Adirondack area with some of my favorite type of terrain to ride.  I love riding remote, low traffic back roads that wind through forested areas, goes past many lakes that are ringed with vacation cabins, ride along creeks that cascade downward with many rapids and small falls.    We really enjoyed riding in upstate New York. 

We entered the new state of Vermont.  The roads were not as nice as the New York roads. There was little traffic, but no shoulders on the roads. We also had a couple of steep climbs to end our day.  We got to our destination of Middlebury around 5:15. Middlebury is a cute little town that has a definite New England charm.   We are in a motel for the night.  We looked at the weather for tomorrow and it looks like rain all day again. We are hoping it is light rain and not a torrential downpour all day.   We feel like we have enough character now and don’t need to build up any more. 

This morning while waiting around to start riding we made our plans for the end of the trip. We are not going to Portland, we are ending the trip on Saturday in Kittery, Maine. This decision was made solely on the availability of hotels over the weekend.  We have found it extremely problematic getting hotels or camping on weekends and as we get to more popular and populated areas it is even more difficult. Tomorrow we are riding to Lebanon, NH, the next day is in Concord, NH, then Kittery, Maine.  After spending the night in Kittery, we are taking a train to Boston. Ross will continue on the train to Philadelphia to visit friends and pick up his van. We will ship our bikes home and then fly home on Wednesday. We have our hotels reserved through Kittery. That is the end game. 

Heart 0 Comment 0
Janet putting on a good face on a rainy day.
Heart 2 Comment 1
Thomas RechSadly, it looks like your Thursday ride will be very wet too. Just looked at the Doppler for where you are (from our sunny and dry sunroom) and it does not look good into the weekend either. Probably good that your adventure did start out this way. I had figured you would run into different travel issues once in the much more populated parts of the country, so glad you were able to book things that still made sense for the end of your journey. Stay well!!
Oh, today is my last day of adult noon hour swim time at the local outdoor pool. That's more of a fun way to be all over wet! Does make you think summer is winding down here in the Wisconsin though ;-)
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
More lawn art.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Lake Champlain bridge
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Entering Vermont.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Lake Champlain
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 50 miles (80 km)
Total: 3,683 miles (5,927 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 4
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Bob DistelbergFirst of all, welcome to my state. Sorry about all the rain. And yes, we unfortunately have a lot of roads with no shoulders. One reason, I guess, to try to find those gravel roads. :-)
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Paul & Amy TeafordI am sad to hear your photo and journal journey is coming to an end but so impressed you made it! We visited with your son Rylan & our Hilary last weekend in L.A. and Rylan mentioned you'd be all done in a couple of weeks....sooner than I realized. Looks like Hurricane Fred caught up to you all and is keeping New England green prior to its beautiful fall colors. Safe travels as you wrap up your trip and congratulations! Paul & Amy Teaford
Reply to this comment
2 years ago