A soupy day - The Metal Hip Club attempt the Northern Tier. - CycleBlaze

July 20, 2021

A soupy day

Heart 0 Comment 1
Thomas MckinleyHi Terry, Looks like with your change to go to Mantowoc to take the ferry, you are not going to go near Cable. Sorry to miss you.
Enjoy your time in Wisconsin and stay off the dirt roads. Also, good idea to not squirt Germain Shepards with your water bottle, They bite!
Cheers to you!
Tom
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today was a soupy day. One of those summer days where the atmosphere feels like soup. There are a couple of good things about a day like today.  There was no or little wind today. With the  hazy sky  the sun did not feel like it was blazing. A couple of bad things also. It is so humid that we sweat like mad and it rolls down every crack and crevice of our body. It is hot and that drains us of energy quickly. 

Today the plan was for a normal mileage day of about 55 miles so we got rolling at our normal time of just before 7 am. Our route for today and the next few days across Wisconsin is Hwy 64. We started out on it and it wasn’t very good. A high volume of traffic and a shoulder of about 3 feet. That combination makes for a nervous and stressful ride. I was not feeling very optimistic about this route and we have to follow hwy 64 for about 200 miles. However, after about 12 miles the traffic was reduced significantly by intersecting other highways and county roads. After 12 miles the traffic volume was much lower and we had a very nice ride the rest of the day. 

We had two stops today. The first was in a little bar and grill in the small town of Connorsville.  Janet had to go to the bathroom so we went in.  When we use the bathroom in these small businesses then we feel obligated to purchase something to help them stay in business. Janet and I split a 2nd breakfast. The waiter was Linda and she was the nicest person. She asked us about our trip and told us about her driving trip of a couple of years ago to the west coast.  The bill was under $10, I love these Midwest prices.  Our 2nd stop was after 40 miles in a nice rest area on the hwy. While eating an older gentleman came over and asked us about our trip. He briefly talked to Ross about an hour earlier. John told us he was 90 years old and was basically killing time in the rest area and enjoying the quiet and serenity of the rest area. We enjoyed talking to John, one of the best parts of the trip is having these short interactions with nice people like John and Linda.   We arrived in the town of Bloomer around 2:15. 

Tomorrow we will continue along hwy 64 to the town of Medford which is about 70 miles away.  It is supposed to be hot and hazy again. Hopefully we will make better time tomorrow and get into town at a reasonable time before the real heat hits. 

Getting ready to start
Heart 0 Comment 0
A smoke stack in the small town of Forest
Heart 0 Comment 0
Janet at the top of the biggest climb of the day.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Lunch break in a rest area by a River.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 57 miles (92 km)
Total: 2,225 miles (3,581 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 0