A slow and short day. - The Metal Hip Club attempt the Northern Tier. - CycleBlaze

June 23, 2021

A slow and short day.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

After our ascent of Logan’s Pass yesterday, today we were spent.  Our legs were tired and our spirits were down.  The day was cloudy with a threat of rain.  The road started out pretty bad, but, then improved with a decent shoulder.  We were a bit slow packing up camp.  We got to bed late last night and it is always slow when you have been at camp for a couple of consecutive nights.   After getting going our first stop was to west glacier village for breakfast and buy some dinner.  We started riding about 9 am.  The road was bad at first and we had lots of stops due to lack of motivation and to get a break from the passing cars.  At one of our stops another bike tourer came riding up.  Ron is from Tucson, Az and is riding the northern tier.  He is hoping to complete it before Labor Day.  We rode with Ron for about 15 miles until the town of Essex.  In Essex is the Isaac Walton Inn and restaurant.  We stopped for lunch and while we were eating lunch it started to rain hard.  The original plan was to ride 37 miles, go halfway up Maria’s pass and camp in a primitive campground.  We have already come 30 miles, the next 7 miles was up hill, we would be camping in the rain, it is bear country and mosquito country.  The alternative was to see if there was a room at the inn.  There was and we booked it.  So we are spending the night at the Isaac Walton Inn in Essex.  

Tomorrow we will start out climbing Maria’s pass and then end up in Browning after a total of 45 miles.

On the road.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Izaak Walton Inn
Heart 2 Comment 0
Lounge area at the inn.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 30 miles (48 km)
Total: 898 miles (1,445 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 5
Comment on this entry Comment 1
Tim O'BrienI am surprised that they named the Inn after Izaak Walton. Did you pack a fishing pole with a horse hair line?
Reply to this comment
2 years ago