A nice day for a bike ride. - The Metal Hip Club attempt the Northern Tier. - CycleBlaze

July 9, 2021

A nice day for a bike ride.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

It rained all night and was raining in the morning. The rain stopped at about 8:15 and we didn’t get riding until 9 am. We took bike trails out of town which was a nice easy ride. The clouds were present for the entire ride with cool temperatures. The day started out with no wind, they increased in the afternoon but were never a big bother.  Our destination for today was the town of Steele, which is 45 miles down the road. We took a secondary road all day. The road had a good shoulder, little traffic and went parallel with the interstate about a half mile south. The road was fairly flat with only a few hills with low gradient. We had a hard time getting going this morning. We were a little stiff from a combination of being sore and tired from yesterday’s ride and being stiff from the cool weather. After a little while we loosened up, but, we still took it easy all day. With the easy pace, the cool temperature with light winds and a great road made for a very nice day to ride. 

We had one stop about half way on the route. We stopped at a truck stop and had gas station food for lunch again. After lunch we cruised down the road, taking frequent stops and pedaling easily. We got to town about 3:15 and checked into our hotel. After cleaning up we walked downtown. Janet found out that the community was providing a free hamburger dinner at the Central Park. We got our dinner and talked to the postman for a while. 

Tomorrow is another bigger day. We have a 60 mile ride to the town of Jamestown. Most of the ride will be on the interstate. We are excited that we have a dinner date tomorrow. We are planning to have dinner with Kerry & Jeanna Smith who are on a tour that started in Florida. We have been communicating with them for a few weeks and we did not think we would be able to catch up with them. However tomorrow we will be in Jamestown with them and have dinner. We are looking forward to it. 

Cloudy start to the day.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A nice honey bucket appeared at the right time.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
After the rain the flowers were popping!!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Menard’s distribution center in the middle of nowhere.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Steele is famous for a big Sand Crane named Sandy.
Heart 0 Comment 2
Thomas RechWe have made at least one stop for a stretch and dog piddle stop by that large Sand Crane on our car trips to Walla Walla in the past.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Terry OBrienTo Thomas RechHey Tom,
We have driven this route several times when driving between Minnesota and Washington. We have never seen Sandy before. Maybe Remi didn’t need to go in this area.
Take care!
Terry
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Free hamburgers at the town Central Park. Once a year the merchants of the town provides a free hamburger dinner for the community. We lucked out and we were in town for the event.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 45 miles (72 km)
Total: 1,682 miles (2,707 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 4
Comment on this entry Comment 0