A dusty road - The Metal Hip Club attempt the Northern Tier. - CycleBlaze

June 7, 2021

A dusty road

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0


Today was a good day of riding.  The weather was beautiful with mostly sunny skies  and 60 degrees.  We had planned for a short day, so we were able to sleep in and didn’t start riding until 11 am.  The first 13 miles was on a quiet , flat road that followed a river.  There was no traffic and we rode at a leisurely pace.  After 13 miles we arrived at the town of Riverside where we partook in a touring tradition for the first time this trip: 2nd breakfast.  This tradition is you eat breakfast when you get up, then you ride for a little while, then go to a restaurant and have a second breakfast.  We have not had an opportunity to follow this tradition until today.

After 2nd breakfast, we had a 10 mile ride on hwy 20, which was a bit busy.  After about a mile we hit a construction zone.  They were grinding up the road preparing it for re-surfacing.  Fortunately the shoulder wasn’t ground-up so we had a lane to ride on.  However, is was a very dusty ride getting in our eyes and mouth.  The flag man let us ride through the active construction which was very nice.

After the construction zone we turned onto another quiet road for the final 5 miles to our camp ground.  Today we are camping in an RV park run by the Tonasket chamber of commerce.  Very nice place for 8$.

Today was a great day.  No drama or adventure, only leisurely pace ride with very nice views and nice weather.

Tomorrow we do our 4th pass, Wauconda pass and the next day it will be Sherman pass.

Morning ride
Heart 1 Comment 0
Morning ride
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 5 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
2nd breakfast restaurant. Had corn beef hash and eggs. Deb would of loved it!!
Heart 1 Comment 1
Deb NusbaumAbsolutely!!!!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Afternoon ride
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Ross saw a deer swimming across a river.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Campground
Heart 1 Comment 0
This was from last night. Ross and I with fu-fu drinks.
Heart 2 Comment 0

Today's ride: 30 miles (48 km)
Total: 304 miles (489 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 5
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Deb NusbaumLove, love, love the daily journals. Your vivid entries and pictures are so enjoyable to read. Enjoy the trail and keep safe (and warm!)
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Ron SuchanekSecond breakfast is what kept us going.
How is the traffic so far?
Reply to this comment
2 years ago