A day to celebrate - The Metal Hip Club attempt the Northern Tier. - CycleBlaze

June 15, 2021

A day to celebrate

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0


We woke up this morning to a torrential thunderstorm.  Lightening, thunder, wind, rain and the good ole pea size hail. It struck about 4:30 am and when we got up at 6:30 it was still raining.  This meant we had to do the dreaded pack up camp wet. We were hurrying as the rain came down, trying to keep dry things from getting wet, trying to shake off the wetness from the wet items and just trying to get everything packed so we can get riding.   Of course we later found out that we left a tent pole at camp.  We can still use the tent and we have to order a replacement as soon as we get some service.

We started riding and had an 8 mile sprint to Clark Fork.  In Clark Fork we all stopped at a cafe for breakfast.  After Clark Fork it was an 18 mile ride to the turn- off that takes us away from the Pend Oreille River. We have been following the river for four days and it is an amazing and beautiful river.  During the 18 mile ride we left the beautiful state of Idaho and entered Montana and mountain time zone.  At the turn-off there was a pantry store that sold sandwiches, chocolate milk and groceries.  It was like a bike tourer oasis.  We got lunch and stocked up for dinner.  

The road we turned onto followed the Bull River for 20 miles.  It was a beautiful meandering road with the river to one side and mountains all around. We ended up at Bad Medicine campground in the middle of no-where Montana.

Today is Janet’s birthday.  We planned a big party, Rachel and Patrick providing a bottle of bubbly and pie.  Unfortunately a rain shower came in right when dinner ended to ruin the party.  We all hurried up to pack up our stuff, put food in the bear proof boxes and get into out tents to stay dry.

Tomorrow our target is Libby, Montana, about 35 miles.

Low clouds over Pend Oreille
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Not having fun after climbing a hill
Heart 2 Comment 0
That is Patrick
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Third state. Robert riding.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Ready to ride
Heart 0 Comment 0
Lunch
Heart 1 Comment 0
Lunch spot
Heart 0 Comment 0
Bull river
Heart 0 Comment 0
More clouds ahead
Heart 0 Comment 0
Ross creek
Heart 0 Comment 0
Bull lake where our campground is located.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 45 miles (72 km)
Total: 603 miles (970 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 6
Comment on this entry Comment 1
Jeffrey ParkerHappy Birthday Janet! This blog allows us to experience this amazing cross country bike tour from the comfort of our couch. Thank you and Terry for writing it, and best wishes on your journey!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago