A big day - The passing of the passes. - The Metal Hip Club attempt the Northern Tier. - CycleBlaze

June 24, 2021

A big day - The passing of the passes.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

After the short day yesterday we decided to have a big day and try to get to Cut Bank, Mt.  While at the Izaak Walton Inn, we tried to get a place to stay for today in Browning, Mt. about 45 miles from Essex.  There was no place to stay and the next town with any type of lodging was Cut Bank, about 75 miles away.  We booked a room at a Super 8 in Cut Bank and decided to go for it.

We got up early and we were on the road at 7:20 am.  Our first task was to climb Marias Pass.  The pass was about 18 miles from Essex and we needed to climb 1800 feet.  The weather was cloudy with times of rain, the road was ok, mostly a small shoulder, the traffic was interesting.  In Essex they were doing road maintenance and had only one lane open.  They had a pilot car that would lead one side and then the other.  What this did was bunch up traffic so we would get passed by several cars and then had a segment of no cars.  The climb wasn’t too bad and the summit area was beautiful with great views of mountains.  This is the last pass we will see for quite a while.   We were just getting good at climbing the passes.  After the pass we had a 12 mile downhill, with one major hill in the middle, until the town of East Glacier.  In town we stopped for a quick takeout breakfast.  Then we went on our way.  The change in scenery after East Glacier was dramatic.  We left the Rockies with trees and entered the grassy plains.

As we said goodbye to the mountain passes, we said hello to one of the plains friends. We were introduced to cross winds (the other friend is heat, which was not present today).  The rest of the 45 miles we had a 15-20 mph cross/head wind to deal with.  We lived for 35 years in Rochester, Mn. where it is windy all the time.  Janet and I know how to ride in the wind.  I take the lead and Janet finds the pocket of blocked air to ride in.  Today it was to my right with her front wheel overlapping my rear wheel.  The shoulder on Us 2 was very wide so we could ride like that for the entire 45 miles.

After East Glacier, the next town was Browning.  In Browning we grabbed a quick Subway sandwich and started the final segment of 32 miles.  The road was flat but windy.  It took about 3:45 hours to cover the distance.  We were very tired as we entered Cut Bank at around 6 pm.  The worse part is that the last 1/4 mile was a big climb, which was pretty difficult because we were so tired.

We have not decided what we are doing tomorrow.  It will be either Shelby, Mt.  which is 25 miles or Chester, Mt. which is 67 miles.

View in Essex.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Starting the climb.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Near the summit.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
On the decent.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Saying goodbye to the Rockies.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Where did all the trees go?
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Landlocked port.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 77 miles (124 km)
Total: 975 miles (1,569 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 6
Comment on this entry Comment 7
Rachel and Patrick HugensWell done, we were lucky with the wind on that stretch. We thought you were doing the new route to Great Falls? We rode from shelby to hingham, 70 miles so the "competition" is on for most miles in a day, Hingham has a nice city park with shelter and power, and Spencer's bar and grill great hamburgers....down side to city park near the railroad tracks. Racpat
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Rachel and Patrick HugensCheck montana department of transportation, culvert replacement going on between chinook and Harlem
Racpat
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Terry OBrienTo Rachel and Patrick HugensRacpat,
You are on for the competition. Ross has been wanting to do a 100 miler in the plains. Janet and I not so much.

Thanks for the road conditions tip!
Terry
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Rachel and Patrick HugensTo Terry OBrienHi, we are in malta, and the road conditions were fine, I must have seen and old report, construction is completed. We go to Glasgow tomorrow for warmshowers stay and taking a rest day.....you may pass us by. Good choice not staying in Shelby, theres not much in Harlem, cafe closed on weekends, Dodson is apocalyptic. We'll default to Ross.....
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Terry OBrienTo Rachel and Patrick HugensHi Racpat,
Thanks for the scouting report. Very helpful! We are in Havre today. Our plans for the next few days are: Harlem(33 miles), Malta (48 miles), Glasgow(68 miles) then Wolfpoint (54 miles).
We heard some bad things about Wolfpoint and we were told that if we stay there to stay in a motel. We would appreciate any scouting report if you get to Wolfpoint and also where you stay.

Stay safe!!
Terry
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Rachel and Patrick HugensTo Terry OBrienWell ask our ws host in glasgow about wolf point and keep you posted, we could possibly all meet up one last time in wolf point! Robert will leave us, so you all also might meet again.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Ron SuchanekTo Terry OBrienWe also heard some not-great things about Wolf Point, although it was 3 years ago. We ended up bypassing a chunk of eastern Montana by getting a ride from Glendive MT to Lewiston.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago