A big day on the trail - The Metal Hip Club attempt the Northern Tier. - CycleBlaze

July 15, 2021

A big day on the trail

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

We have an inside joke between us. Whenever we ask how much farther to go one of us will say something like “20 miles and it is mostly flat, generally downhill”. We get this from google maps where every route we look at is “mostly flat”.  The route could have 2000 feet of elevation gain and it will still be mostly flat. We added the “generally downhill” part. Well today it really was mostly flat and generally downhill. 

We had a long mileage day planned so we got an early start. We had to ride about 5 miles to get back on the trail. The rest of the day was on the trail until the last 3 miles. Once on the trail it got really foggy for about an hour. Our glasses were hard to see out of because a mist from the fog formed on the lenses. We were really glad we were on the trail versus the road. Being on the road with the fog would have been very dangerous. After about an hour the fog burned off and it was sunny the rest of the day. We only took a couple of breaks today. We stopped for a bathroom break after 15 miles. We stopped for lunch after 35 miles. Lunch was a turkey sandwich, an apple and chocolate milk from a grocery store. We ate under a bike shelter next to the trail. The next break was after 50 miles and it was the best break of the trip. There was an A&W next to the trail. We stopped and got root beer floats served in a frozen glass. It was the best!!! We rode another 20 miles to the trail end and made a quick stop at a Kwik Trip, which is a big regional C-store.  We finished with a 3 mile ride through town to our hotel. 

Tomorrow we plan a short day of about 35-45 miles. We are very close to Minneapolis and a short day will set us up to get to downtown the next day. 

This is from last night. We have been getting reports of smoke from Canadian fires is in the area. We have not noticed the smoke during the day. The only indicator is the sunsets.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Early morning start.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0

You can see a bit of fog on the lake.
Heart 0 Comment 0
All this riding east and we are still only 18 miles from home.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Lunch break.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A&W break
Heart 0 Comment 0
You know you are in Minnesota when you see a Kwik Trip store.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 73 miles (117 km)
Total: 2,029 miles (3,265 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 7
Comment on this entry Comment 1
Deb NusbaumCongratulations on hitting 2000 miles!! Yes 🙌
Reply to this comment
2 years ago