Surprise Gravel, One Bridge and a Cough - "An Impressively Meandering Route" - CycleBlaze

June 18, 2022

Surprise Gravel, One Bridge and a Cough

Philomath to Corvallis

Local fauna attracted to Cheryl’s wheel-see the slug?
Heart 0 Comment 0

I have had a chronic cough for 2 1/2 years,  since March of 2020. We are pretty sure it isn’t Covid or long Covid and my docs are treating it as sequelae of chronic allergic sinusitis. I noticed it gradually increasing as we rode yesterday, which is interesting since rain typically tamps down my allergies. But with the rain, everything up here is in full bloom so maybe there is just an overwhelming amount of allergens in the air? 

This morning my cough was quite bad, much worse than usual, enough that my chest and upper bad were complaining. But what can you do, we are on tour, so I prepared for the day ahead. 

First stop-The Dizzy Hen Cafe-our AirBNB host highly recommended this cafe but warned us that it was popular. It’s hours were 9 am to 1 pm only. We all got up early to leave our accommodations by 8:30 so we arrived at the cafe at 8:45. We were first in line but only by about 30 seconds. By 9 am, there was a line of people down the block, enough to fill the restaurant and then some. It was the same when we left. The menu was limited but very unique and interesting. We all were happy with our choices and very full as we got back on our bikes. 

Our plan was to ride first to the bridge we skipped yesterday because of the persistent rain, so Jim led us out in that direction. Once we were out of town we started up a moderate grade on Hwy 20, the main route to the coast and quite busy. Just over the top we exited and headed west on a road the soon turned to gravel, surprising all of us. Fortunately it was hard packed with clear tracks between the loose gravel. Even Cheryl, riding skinny tires, had little trouble with it. 

By this time, however, I was coughing almost continuously. The little climb really got it going, then the gravel and some smoke from a burn pile aggravated it even more. I was kind of a mess when we reached the Harris Bridge.

Harris Bridge
Heart 1 Comment 0

This bridge was built to replace a covered bridge at the same site. Benton county records indicate it was built in 1936 but some locals say it it was actually constructed in 1929. 

While we stood in front of the bridge, a friendly tabby kitty came over from a nearby house to greet us. The cat was particularly interested in Cheryl’s bike, in particular, her front wheel. So much so that she tried to spray on it! Perhaps she was smelling that slug from this morning. 

After viewing the bridge we returned to the Highway turnoff to decide whether or not to go on to the Ritner Creek Bridge, which would involve a 20-mile round trip from here with additional climbing. Given the severity of my cough, I had decided not to do this and offered to wait in Philomath. However, everyone else opted to skip this bridge as well so we all turned back and rode down the hill towards Philomath and eventually to Corvallis. 

Ritner Creek Bridge. Looks pretty similar to all the others. It was the last covered bridge to be used on an Oregon State Highway before being replaced by a cement bridge and being moved to its current location.
Heart 0 Comment 0

The ride to Corvallis was mostly downhill and with the wind. We got spritzed with a little bit of rain, not enough to warrant breaking out any rain gear. We arrived in downtown Corvallis at 12:30; too early to check into our motel, so we went to Corvallis Cyclers so I could buy some dry lube for my pedals and Cheryl could get some better gloves. Then we headed for a bakery for snacks and coffee and to kill some time.

Eventually we made it today’s accommodation, The Days Inn. It is, well, a dump; definitely the worst motel we’ve stayed in awhile. Dated rooms, questionable cleanliness, non-working hair dryer and AC unit, minimal amenities. It does have “in-room coffee and a breakfast item”(this was on an info sheet in the room-apparently they give out a bag of breakfast items to guests so I will get one tomorrow to see what it is. I am not expecting much though) and the Wi-Fi is reasonably fast. It is our least expensive motel of this trip at $93 for a double Queen room.  

Dinner was a great Italian meal at a restaurant up the street. Dessert was cookies from Crumbl-a chain I had never heard of-but the cookies are enormous and tasty. 

M&M, choc chip, Reeses PB, and Twix cookies
Heart 0 Comment 4
Wayne EstesCrumbl Cookies was recently founded by two students at Utah State University in Logan. Mormons like their sweets.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Kelly IniguezYou can get Crumbl cookies individually boxed. I bought them for the kids on the bus. My aide said I was spoiling them. I told Rick I was buying their love. Or, at least their quietness. Of course, this was in the middle of COVID - masks required. I was still allowed to hand out treats, but only as the kids got off the bus, not to eat on the bus.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Ellen WalkerI give Crumbl cookies to my clients. 1 cookie equals 4 and can through you into a sugar coma.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Genny FoxI still have over 1/2 a cookie left-nibbling on it a bit at a time to avoid the sugar coma :)
Reply to this comment
1 year ago

On the walk home from dinner we passed these outanding wall murals on the side of a dispensary/lifestyle center:

Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0

I am so hoping my cough is improved tomorrow as we are meandering east to Sweet Home. 

Today's ride: 26 miles (42 km)
Total: 228 miles (367 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 4
Comment on this entry Comment 9
Wayne EstesI decided to splurge on the Holiday Inn Express in Corvallis. It should be much nicer than Days Inn.
I wasn't there coughing and wondering if/when it might rain, but I'm bummed that you skipped Ritner Creek bridge, then arrived at Corvallis at 12:30.
I hope your cough gets better. Grass pollen will skyrocket when the weather dries out. The southern Willamette Valley is the "grass seed capital of the world".
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Wayne EstesI should stop by Corvallis Cyclery to show them my Bacchetta Giro 20 which I bought there in 2007. I have pedaled the bike more than 65,000 miles since then.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Kelly IniguezTo Wayne EstesYes, you should stop! That is a very good mile per dollar investment. Did they stock recumbents? How is it your bought your recumbent from them specifically?
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Kelly IniguezIn case I've never mentioned it before, Jerry Harp says eating local honey cured his COPD. He used to land in the hospital a couple of times a winter with an attack. Since adding local honey to his oatmeal each morning, he hasn't been hospitalized once. Jerry just had his 81st birthday. It might not help, but it can't hurt!

Coughing is no fun. I had a dry cough for a couple of weeks after I had COVID. It gets old.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Genny FoxI had heard about local honey and have been eating it for 2 years. I don’t really think it has helped at all.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Genny FoxTo Wayne EstesWe’ll likely be back in CA before the weather dries out too much so I hope to miss the pollen explosion.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Wayne EstesTo Kelly IniguezKelly, Corvallis Cyclery was, probably still is, the closest Bacchetta dealer to me. Bacchetta only sells through dealers. No direct sales.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Wayne EstesAfter pedaling the relentless hills south of Ritner Creek covered bridge, I can hardly imagine you guys wanting to to do it round trip. I don't blame you for passing on all the hills, with possible rain.
I'm back home now, with a cracked front rim that barely survived the trip.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Genny FoxBad luck on the cracked rim! Does that mean you are calling off or postponing the rest of your tour?
Reply to this comment
1 year ago