A Day of 6 Bridges - "An Impressively Meandering Route" - CycleBlaze

June 15, 2022

A Day of 6 Bridges

Sublimity to Albany via the scenic route

The fastest way to Albany is 29 miles but we are riding 56 miles to get there today in order to view 6 covered bridges. The morning was cool and crisp, sunny with a few clouds, perfect for riding. What’s more, there is a great breakfast cafe on the way to the first bridge, just a few miles from the motel. How do we know it’s great? Their logo clearly proclaims that “Bacon is our Specialty.”

Heart 0 Comment 0

After our great, bacon-filled breakfast, we did a quick out and back to view the Jordan bridge. This bridge was originally built in 1937 near the town of Jordan. It was dismantled in 1986 and purchased by a group of Stayton residents and then it was reassembled, opening to pedestrian traffic in 1988. In 1994 it burned down and an identical structure was rebuilt, opening again in 1998. 

Jordan Bridge, Stayton
Heart 2 Comment 0

Leaving Stayton, we meandered through some residential ranch land and farms. The terrain was undulating and so we navigated several substantial rollers. The last roller was special-the brief downhill prior to it gave enough momentum for the 8% lower section but the grade increased to 12%, then 15%, topping out at 18%! Needless to say, we all had to push our bikes up the last 200 yards or so. 

Shortly after this we descended steeply for close to a mile to the site of the Shimanek Bridge. 

Shimanek Bridge restoration in progress
Heart 1 Comment 1
Scott AndersonAmazing. We made our own circuit of the bridges just three months ago and biked through the Shimanek Bridge then: https://www.cycleblaze.com/journals/winterlude2021/the-covered-bridge-ride/. We were lucky to get to see it before the project started.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago

The first Shimanek Bridge was built in 1891 for a cost of $1,150. It has been prone to weather and flood-related damage and has been rebuilt in 1904, 1921, 1927, and 1966. Obviously it is now being rebuilt yet again. 

We were heading towards Scio for lunch but first we meandered to the east to view the Hannah Bridge. This bridge was built in 1936 and named for pioneer John Joseph Hannah, who came to this region of Oregon in 1853. 

Hannah Bridge
Heart 2 Comment 0

We squeezed in one more bridge to the SE of Scio before lunch, the Larwood Bridge. It was built in 1939 to Highway Commission specs, which included a standard 105-foot length, partially exposed trusses, white-wash interior and rounded portals. It was named after William Larwood, who settled in this area in 1888, built a store and blacksmith shop and operated a post office. 

Larwood Bridge
Heart 1 Comment 0

The town of Scio was our next stop-for lunch! We came across this sign on the way into town:

Heart 0 Comment 1
Wayne EstesCottage Grove also claims to be the Covered Bridge Capital of the West. Both have 6 nearby covered bridges, so I guess it's a tie.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago

And then we had a terrific lunch at the Covered Bridge Bakery & BBQ. 

After lunch we rode out of town to the west on Gilkey Rd. to see the Gilkey Bridge. This 120 foot bridge was built in 1939 and repaired in 1998. It stands next to a railroad bridge that was also covered until 1960, but now is just covered with graffiti. 

Gilkey Bridge
Heart 0 Comment 0

Then we meandered some more, doing another out and back to find the Hoffman Bridge. 

Hoffman Bridge
Heart 0 Comment 0

This bridge features Gothic style windows rather than open trusses and enlarged and squared off portals that accommodate larger loads. 

From the Hoffman Bridge it was a quick 10-miles to Albany. We are staying here 2 nights at a Comfort Inn. It is the most upscale Comfort Inn I have ever been in; well-appointed, spacious rooms, plush towels, in-room coffee and breakfast and laundry facilities. Jim, Rich and I are ready for a rest day; Amber is so strong she could ride another week straight through. Cheryl should joining us tomorrow for the rest of our adventure. 

I have neglected to mention how friendly people here have been. Often they come over when we are stopped and make some comment like, “ nice rig” or they ask the usual questions. We have had many affirmative comments or thumbs up from folks. Overall drivers have been polite and gracious…until today, right at the end of the ride. Amber and I dodged into a hole in traffic to get into a central turn lane. Although we had plenty of time, the driver who was behind us took offense and, as usual, yelled out as he accelerated past us, fully expecting that we could make out what he was saying. All I heard was “blah, blah, blah, blah you skinny bitches!” I hope it made him feel better. Amber and I decided we would take what we heard as a complement. 

Today's ride: 56 miles (90 km)
Total: 178 miles (286 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 5
Comment on this entry Comment 0