Hot, hot , hot!: Albi to Albi by way of Puylaurens - A Summer Meander Through France - CycleBlaze

August 3, 2015

Hot, hot , hot!: Albi to Albi by way of Puylaurens

Have you ever seen 15000 cyclists all going the same way? Well, that's the Semaine federale.

It's impossible to imagine this. A line of cyclists ten kilometers long!
Heart 0 Comment 0

The ride wasn't too difficult. Some small hills, but it was HOT! It got to 37C, which I make to be body temperature. Riding in heat like that can be fatal, if enough water is not available. I drank about twelve liters, all told, and sweated most of it out. Some folks were not careful enough, and I saw the firemen and their ambulances busy with six down riders. Rumors say that there were two deaths, but there was no official word, so I take that news with a grain of salt?

My major criticism of the Semaine is that far too many people come to enjoy a weeks cycling without any prior physical activity during the year. The results are predictable, and a lot of people end up nursing sore bodies or worse. And peloton discipline is non-existent. The racer boy and girl wannabes are frustrated by the tourists, and passing is always a problem. I try to remain Zen about it, but it's hard not to notice.

Anyway, the return was rewarded by a shower, beer, and dinner with friends from Dijon.

Today's ride: 135 km (84 miles)
Total: 758 km (471 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0