Feeling good in the saddle: Aurillac to St. Flour - A Summer Meander Through France - CycleBlaze

July 28, 2015

Feeling good in the saddle: Aurillac to St. Flour

What a relief to feel rested and well nourished. I woke this morning to an overcast sky, but my spirits had been lifted. This old man is still learning his limits, and I was rarin' to go. A largish breakfast of croissants, apple tart and coffee, got packed and onto the road. The climb begins directly in Aurillac, but it's gradual enough, so I cruised along. A light misty rain alternated with sun, but the sunshine began to prevail as the morning went on.

Random chateau of the day. It's still raining at this point.
Heart 0 Comment 0

As the air dried out, I stopped for coffee in Theizac, a really lovely village, if somewhat depopulated.

Main Street Thiezac
Heart 0 Comment 0

After much cranking, I finnally reached the Tunnel de Lioran, but no bikes allowed! So it was up and over on the old road through Super Lioran ski station and the col de Cere.

Highest point on this tour so far.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Looking back down in the direction of Aurillac.
Heart 0 Comment 0

From the col heading down iit was a wide highway with a good shoulder and light traffic, perfect for coasting and eating up the kilometers I hit speeds of up to 50 kph and barely peddled till I got to Murat, where a friendly bistro was awaiting me. Lunch was a buffet entree (beets, tomatoes, pate, melon, etc.) sauté of veal with purée of potato, local cheeses, and coffee. I devoured it all. From Murat, the road climbs again, but not too far or too steeply, then another coast to just before St. Flour. Climb up to the old city to the main place and into the Hotel des Roches for the night. I had time for a walk around town before supper, which was served at the hotel restaurant. Local sausages on the grill, aligot, which is a cheese and mashed potato dish, local ham, and cheese.

Chapel at Murat. No, I didn't climb up there.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Church at Rouffiac. Do you think they ran out of money for bells?
Heart 0 Comment 0
All that's left of the chateau of Rouffiac
Heart 0 Comment 0
Monstrous church of St. Flour
Heart 0 Comment 0
Monument, main place of St. Flour
Heart 0 Comment 0
Duke and downspout. Somewhere in St. Flour
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 79 km (49 miles)
Total: 241 km (150 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0