a lack of common sense vs innate laziness - 1982: Stories of the Young and Dumb, aka My First Bike Trip - CycleBlaze

a lack of common sense vs innate laziness

In Trinidad we rode to the State Park and set up camp. Scott and Jerry met the manager of an art gallery in town who suggested we visit it. They went for a tour while I found a place to buy some film, drink a chocolate shake, and write in my journal. Upon their return, with hamburgers they'd picked up on the way, both of them agreed that only two of the two hundred pictures were any good. I guess we should’ve known… it was his gallery, after all.

That afternoon we sat around for about an hour talking to the Kiwanis who were selling popcorn, one of whom was a Baylor graduate like us. 

With the guitarrón and accordion music blasting through the speakers, the park sounded like a Mexican supermarket, and was quite a change from last night’s remote campsite. There were enormous Winnebago “campers” everywhere, and the three of us just couldn’t understand the appeal of doing that. 

We rode to the Safeway grocery store to get some food and while we were there, Jerry lost his glasses. He really needs them to see and was starting to panic… until he realized they were perched on his head.  

Back at our campsite we set up the tent to dry, but it was so windy that we removed the poles and let it lay on the ground because we were afraid the wind would rip the stakes out and blow it away. There was a shower so we all got cleaned up. Once the sun went down the temperature dropped to the point where it was chilly, so I set up the tent again and climbed inside. 

The climbing is clearly affecting our mileage. We’re seeing a decrease from the 80s for the previous week or so to the 50s the last couple of days.

The next morning we lounged around for a while, after which Scott and I strolled over to the lake where he let me know he’s definitely stopping in Denver. It’s disappointing, but not surprising. Fortunately, my lack of common sense overcame my innate laziness, so it didn’t change my mind about continuing the Adventure. 

Scott Haney
Heart 4 Comment 0
Lake Trinidad
Heart 4 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 11
Comment on this entry Comment 0