From St to St - Canadian Maritimes June 2023 - CycleBlaze

June 23, 2023

From St to St

St Martins the St John that is!

This was the hardest day of riding we’ve had. The first sixteen miles very hilly road with no shoulders but also no traffic. Then five miles of highway type road. The first section had a climbing lane on our side. Despite the climb the extra lane made riding easier even with the traffic. Car 'and trucks could go into the left lane. Then for the last three miles it wasn’t pleasant.  60mph  Traffic and a tiny shoulder. We all made it without incident. Then a deep gravely trail for a few miles. We all grouped together for about the final 10 miles with 20 cues including 2 miles on the Trans Canada Hiking Trail. Not really meant for road bikes and we had to push our bikes up and down a very steep but short hill. We were all exhausted by the time we got to our Travelodge. Even though we’ve had a few non riding days we all looked forward to a day off tomorrow! 

The Trans Canada hiking trail
Heart 0 Comment 0
Margaret took this pic of me coming up the trail. The photo shows neither the Rocky surface or the percent climb but I assure you both were a lot. I was using turbo (which I never do) and pretending I was on a mountain bike.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Gathering to figure out the next few of twenty cuts. Then we hung together until the last few cues which were pretty clear.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 39 miles (63 km)
Total: 531 miles (855 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0