BRUCE STATS - MYANMAR - Unmettled Roads - CycleBlaze

BRUCE STATS - MYANMAR

Heart 4 Comment 0

BRUCESTATS - MYANMAR

Number of days in Myanmar - 36  -  (36 nights)

Number of towns we stayed in overnight - 12

Number of towns we stayed in overnight which we had never visited before - 9

Number of days cycling in Myanmar - 10

Miles biked from town to town - 319.5

Miles biked in and around towns - 114.5

Total miles biked in Myanmar - 434

Miles by bus - 331

Miles by boat - 40

Miles by car - 79

Miles by truck - 43.5

Miles by train - 201.5

Total non biking miles - 695

Written on the side of a minivan - “Traveling is the best part of my life.”

Number of snakes squished on the roads -  29

Number of live snakes seen - 0

Number of episodes of food poisoning - 0

Number of times we each had Burmese tea - 25

The Banana index was down during our stay in Myanmar due to the fact that we never once bought any bananas because we always got fruit with our breakfasts and that carried us through the day.  Breakfast is almost always included at hotels in Myanmar.

Number of days above 95 (35C) degrees - ALL OF THEM!

Number of days humidity was really high - ALL OF THEM!

We did not have one drop of rain while we were doing anything (riding, walking, sightseeing in general, etc.) but it rained heavily during other times, especially at night.  Luck I guess.  

Best shampoo name which came with the hotel - So Long Damage Shampoo

Something I noticed on a menu - Fried meat flakes

Best Yogurt I’ve ever eaten - A store called The Milk Store in Mandalay  

Most common phrase I heard Andrea say - “I’m loving that breeze.”  

Best hotel breakfast included - The amazing buffet at Diamond Rise Hotel in Mandalay

Second best breakfast, also a buffet - The First Hotel in Pathein

Cheapest Hotel - $10 in Tada U

Most Expensive Hotel - $32 in Yangon

Average Hotel Price -  $20.27

Number of rain drops on us in Myanmar - 0

Number of Flat Tires - 0

Rate this entry's writing Heart 10
Comment on this entry Comment 10
Scott AndersonWould be great if you could bring some of those fried meat flakes home with you. We could get together with the Grumbys and they could bring some canned chicken as a nice pairing.

Also, just saying - I’m not sure you couldn’t come close to a 20 euro hotel in parts of Spain if you were cost conscious.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Bruce LellmanTo Scott AndersonMyanmar is by far the most expensive for hotels in all of S.E. Asia. I'm not sure why but they all do include breakfast and sometimes the breakfast is an awesome breakfast, worth more than the room! Sometimes we don't need to eat again all day because we (I) have pigged out on the great breakfast buffet. In Thailand I suspect our average hotel price will drop to around $14 per night which is way up from previous trips. The dollar sucks and I suspect the Thai government has artificially propped up the Thai Baht. It's stronger than I've seen in 25 years.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Jen RahnTo Scott AndersonA meat flakes and "delicious" canned chicken party?!

What could possibly be more fun than that?

Maybe Bruce and Andrea could also bring a pack of fish skin chid?
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Jen RahnI would add to the list of stats:

Most Badass Touring Cyclists in Myanmar in late 2019: Bruce & Andrea!!

Seriously .. you 2 maintained an impressive spirit of openness & adventure through some serious adversity. And you gave your readers a thought-provoking and fascinating view into a culture that many of us could never imagine.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Jen RahnWe’re in! It will give us that excuse we’ve been looking for to come back to Portland. We’ll bring the beer, and GBO can do the honors.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Jen RahnTo Scott AndersonExcellent .. it will be a grand event!
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Ron SuchanekI don't see any delicious canned chicken or delicious Keebler Snack Crackers on the statistics list. I'm sure it was just an oversight.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Bruce LellmanTo Ron SuchanekBelieve it or not we didn't buy any crapfood in Myanmar, not even potato chips. The only snack thing we ate was peanuts. Oh and one time a guest house worker gave us a little box full of peanuts combined with jaggery his mother had made from the toddy palms. That was outstanding. But no, the trip has been remarkably free of chid.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Bruce LellmanTo Scott AndersonAren't those Foods that Shouldn't Eat Together?

The only problem is that we'd have to return to Myanmar to actually buy the meat flakes and the fish skin and I don't think that is on our itinerary.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Mike Palmquist"So Long Damage" It might it's going to be the name of Fiona Apple's next album.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago