Through the Albufera park to Sa Pobla, Muro and Ca'n Picafort, then to Port Pollenca and back - Mallorca in April - CycleBlaze

April 13, 2013

Through the Albufera park to Sa Pobla, Muro and Ca'n Picafort, then to Port Pollenca and back

Exploring in another direction

Heart 0 Comment 0

Climbed 201 metres, 659 feet

Weather: sunny and warm, high 25 C

Today we started out riding through the Parc Natural S'Albufera, a wetland nature reserve with gravel paths for cyclists and walkers—no cars allowed. The main entrance to the park is about a kilometre from our hotel, and we hoped to see some interesting birds and plants. However the paths were so rough and stony that we had to keep our eyes down or risk falling off the bikes, so we decided to come back another day on foot. We exited the park onto a narrow smoothly paved road which took us further on our way to the inland towns of Sa Pobla and Muro.

A view over the wetlands from one of the observation platforms
Heart 1 Comment 0

The cycling was lovely, once again through agricultural areas past fields of artichokes, potatoes and onions. The onions looked mature and ready to pick, even now in mid-April, making us wonder if the onion farmers here grow two crops per year. The Serra de Tramuntana mountain range loomed up in the background, and we passed old stone windmills which had been used to pump water into stone cisterns for irrigating the crops. The scene was peaceful, pastoral and perfect for exploring on bicycles.

Most of the old windmills are no longer used, but sprinkler irrigation of field crops in this area is extensive
Heart 1 Comment 0
There were fields of artichokes, potatoes, and onions along the route
Heart 1 Comment 0
And figs were growing wild along the sides of some of the lanes
Heart 1 Comment 0

We passed through Sa Pobla without stopping, since we knew we'd be there again, and continued on to Muro, up a steep hill to its central square flanked by old stone houses and a monumental church. We hoped to find a place for lunch there, but several cafes were closed, and the open ones were not appealing. Looking at the map we found that Muro wasn't far from Ca'n Picafort and Cafe Don Denis where we had eaten on Thursday, so off we went back to the coast. There was a bonus of a gorgeous scenic downhill run out of Muro on a route we hadn't planned to follow. The gazpacho and pa amb olis at Don Denis hit the spot, and after lunch we headed to Port d'Alcudia on the main road.

Looking back up at Muro after a lovely downhill stretch of quiet road
Heart 1 Comment 0
The view from our table at lunch in Ca'n Picafort
Heart 0 Comment 0

We didn't stop at our hotel, since the plan was to ride through Port d'Alcudia and on into the town of Port de Pollença, which we had just skirted yesterday. All of a sudden, Al felt a bump and discovered that his rear tire had gone flat. Luckily he had a spare tube in his handlebar bag and soon we were off again through the lanes we had ridden yesterday. When we reached Port de Pollença we walked our bikes on the pedestrianized path along the water and realized it was another tourist strip lined with hotels, restaurants, bars and shops. There weren't many people around now, but we could imagine the sandy beach thronged with visitors in the summer. We stopped for an ice cream cone and then high-tailed it back to our hotel and tea on the balcony before another surprisingly good dinner.

Along the lanes returning from Port de Pollenca
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heading back to the hotel in the soft afternoon light
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 74 km (46 miles)
Total: 315 km (196 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 0