Around Porto Cristo--no cycling: and to the lowest point on the island in the Dragon Caves - Mallorca in April - CycleBlaze

April 8, 2013

Around Porto Cristo--no cycling: and to the lowest point on the island in the Dragon Caves

Weather: a mix of sun and cloud, high 18.

The hotel dining room was not crowded for breakfast, and once again the buffet choices were varied and plentiful. After breakfast we set off for the Dragon Caves, about a 20 minute walk from the hotel. We weren't sure what to expect--the guidebook description had implied that the caves were a bit of a hokey crowded tourist trap, a favourite destination of bus tours, but still worth visiting. A limited number of people are admitted to the caves every hour, and we expected to purchase tickets and then have to wait at least an hour for the next entrance. At 10:50 when we paid for admission, we were told we could just make the 11:00 entrance--another advantage of low season.

Galleries in the cave system were quite large and included several lakes
Heart 1 Comment 0

The Coves del Drach were amazing--tastefully illuminated and well worth the 14 euro admission price. On the leisurely two kilometre walk through the limestone caverns we saw thousands of stalactites and stalagmites in all different shapes and sizes. The walk finishes up at the Lago del Martel, one of the largest underground lakes in the world, with a ten minute classical music concert, the musicians floating in small boats on the lake—again very tastefully done. Flash photography was not allowed in the caves, so our photos don't do justice to the spectacular formations, but professional photos are available online. On the way back to the hotel we mused about visiting the highest and lowest points of that part of Mallorca in the space of two days.

A winding path led downward from one gallery to another through the cave
Heart 1 Comment 0
At the cave's largest lake, we were treated to a classical music concert
Heart 1 Comment 0

After a salad lunch at a waterfront cafe, we walked several kilometres around the marina and through a newish residential area to the lighthouse at the mouth of the harbour. There were flowers everywhere, both wild and cultivated. In one garden we saw nasturtiums, roses, lilies, iris, poppies and bougainvillea all blooming at once.

From the hotel, we could see the lighthouse at the far entrance to the harbour, and decided to walk to it
Heart 0 Comment 0
Along the shore near the lighthouse
Heart 1 Comment 0
Looking back at the harbour and our hotel among the trees
Heart 0 Comment 0

At dinner this evening the restaurant was much less crowded—several large groups had left the hotel during the afternoon. We sat in the glassed-in patio area, which was brighter and more pleasant than the main part of the windowless dining room, and enjoyed another good and varied meal. One thing that puzzled us were the whole garlic cloves for offer on the condiment table. We couldn't imagine what they would be used for. Later in our travels we discovered the Mallorcan signature dish, pa amb oli (bread and oil) in which garlic cloves figure prominently, and the mystery was solved. After dinner we repaired to the hotel's upstairs lounge with its strong wifi connection, to use our netbook.

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0