Midland, MI to Clare, MI: - Mackinac Island after abandoning the USBRS (US Bicycle Route System) - CycleBlaze

May 12, 2019

Midland, MI to Clare, MI:

Rollin' On the Rail Trail & & “Thanks for coming!”

We modified our route a little to deal with the anticipated wind direction and to take advantage of the Pere Marquette trail which runs all the way to Clare.

Midland has a bikshare program in operation. We would need some training in security and operation.
Heart 0 Comment 0
An unusual looking County building.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The building next to it was also unique. No idea what it was for.
Heart 0 Comment 0

The beginning of the rail trail was beside the Y bridge we rode in on yesterday.

Herbert Dow (founder of Dow Chemical) bought a brine well at this site in 1890. I didn’t know brine was valuable.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Spring is busting out, just not fast enough for our taste.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We rejoined USBRS 20 or perhaps it joined us.

The rail trail continued on with a wonderful smooth surface for (at least) 35 miles.
Heart 0 Comment 0

The Pere Marquette trail has been around long enough for some businesses to be attracted.

Midland Brewing Company located along the trails in 2010.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
A great rail trail has to have many great restrooms. Rhona’s inspecting this one.
Heart 1 Comment 0

On a straight 6.5 mile long stretch a display was set up to visualize the distances of each planet from the sun and also their relative size.

Rhona is pointing at Pluto but she was too cold to take off her mitten so you’ll have to use your imagination a bit.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Uranus was a bit bigger.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Saturn has rings and Rhona loves jewelry.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Jupiter. Helmet required on the trails.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The moon and earth. Seeing the distance between these two led the distance to Pluto seem like “forever”.
Heart 0 Comment 0
And then stepping behind the moon and Earth you can easily see the sun.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Venus. Is that a a Greek symbol on the pole?
Heart 0 Comment 0
Mercury is pretty close to the sun.
Heart 0 Comment 0
And finally the huge sun. Rhona was praying for it to show it’s face again.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We passed this mare and her foal. They were very interested in us and Rhona realized that the foal was limping. She finally concluded that it was a well-kept farm and she was sure the owner was doing all that was necessary to take care of the foal on Mother’s Day.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Our hotel has a swimming pool and a hot tub. A blended family with six young children were splashing around and jumping in the water with peals of laughter ringing out. It was good to hear children again if only because we’re missing grandchildren. Six year old Chloe joined us in the Jacuzzi chattering nonstop. Rhona has that effect on children. The heat from the Jacuzzi forced us out and when we left Chloe called out, ”Thank you for coming!”

Today's ride: 35 miles (56 km)
Total: 567 miles (912 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0