Day 9: REST DAY in Lexington - NZ lad riding coast-to-coast in the US - CycleBlaze

May 21, 2023

Day 9: REST DAY in Lexington

We need to change plans and have a little rest

We woke up this morning and both knew we needed some rest. 

I'd calculated how many km per day we'd need to do to get to Natalie's flight to San Francisco from Lexington, KY next Monday. Technically we could make it but it's such a push when we're this tired that we will probably break. Our bodies need to recover and since we've never had more than an afternoon off since we started our minds do too.

We spent the day in our hotel and going grocery shopping at WalMart. The shopping centre with Walmart was just next door but the whole area we're in was designed only for cars so walking involved a lot of climbing along banks beside a huge road.

Instead of pushing ourselves to our limit to bike across the Appalachians into Kentucky we're taking a different route. We'll bike into Roanoke and take a train around to Cincinatti, then it's just a couple days from there to Lexington. This will save us a lot of time even though it's a much less direct route.

We were supposed to be in the middle of the Virginian Appalachians this weekend so my planning or execution of my plan was a bit off, but this will set me back on schedule.

Our rest was exactly what we needed, tomorrow we ride again.

Rate this entry's writing Heart 5
Comment on this entry Comment 3
Rachael AndersonRest days are very important!
Reply to this comment
11 months ago
Susan JamesSmart move. By doing this, you will be missing most of the dogs of Kentucky.
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
Luke ParkinsonTo Susan JamesStill plenty of them out there but I'm glad we missed most
Reply to this comment
10 months ago