Day -4: Tourists in NYC (1/2) - NZ lad riding coast-to-coast in the US - CycleBlaze

May 9, 2023

Day -4: Tourists in NYC (1/2)

Our plan was to sleep in until at least 9 and leave towards the High Line around 10am. But unfortunately we both woke up around 5:30.  We decided to get out bikes out of their boxes and check them for damage. We didn't fully assemble them so time will tell if the derailleurs or discs are bent. 

Bikes appear to have survived transit
Heart 3 Comment 0

We spent the early morning wandering Bed-Stuy and ate some delicious bagels for brekky. 

Heart 3 Comment 0

At first it felt a bit scary being out by ourselves in such a big city but quickly it began to feel just like we were in just another part of NZ. NYC has people from every country so we didn't really stick out at all. We got some cash out after a bit of a fuss with the first arm and took our first ever subway ride into Manhattan.

Heart 3 Comment 0

After wandering the Meatpacking District we started walking along the High Line. It was a perfect start to Manhattan. the vibrant trees on the old rail tracks was so peaceful. We loved the architecture along the sides and sometimes over the top of the path.

One of the buildings growing over the High Line
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0

 By the time we were finished with the high line we were getting a bit weary so we ended up chilling out in a very quiet Times Square. 

We got some pizza on the way to the Rockerfeller Center and the view at the top was astounding. But it was about 1:30 and we were getting pretty tired of walking. 

Central Park from Top of the Rock
Heart 3 Comment 0
View South from Top of the Rock
Heart 3 Comment 0

Natalie wanted to buy some new shoes so we got to sit in the Puma shop for a little while, relaxing in the air conditioning. It was a pretty mild day today weather-wise but still we were wanting any reprieve we could get.

Feeling weary, we wandered into Central Park, eventually settling on a space in the Sheep Meadow. We played some cards and had a bit of a lie down for a couple hours to revive ourselves.

We had to head off pretty quickly around 6 to fit in some food truck dinner before our Broadway show. Hadestown was a great show, brilliant music and a good story. The set blew us away and I'd definitely like to go to some more Broadway shows.

After our show we decided we'd give Times Square another go in the dark since it was so quiet in the arvo. We barely made it through the crowds, but the energy was estatic and the lights were dazzling in the dark.

Heart 3 Comment 0

We ended up on the wrong train home, one that didn't take us all the way. Turns out Google Maps doesn't work very well for subways while offline and there's no service down there. I had a pdf map downloaded though so we managed to string a new route together ourselves and got home safely.

Tomorrow I'm not planning to walk quite as far, we might go see a few things in the Dumbo or downtown area but we'll just see where the day takes us. Hoping to at least fit in some ferry rides.

Rate this entry's writing Heart 8
Comment on this entry Comment 1
Rachael AndersonWhat a great first day! I’m glad you got to see a play.
Reply to this comment
10 months ago