Day 14: down the Dixie Highway to Georgetown - NZ lad riding coast-to-coast in the US - CycleBlaze

May 26, 2023

Day 14: down the Dixie Highway to Georgetown

But we neglected sunscreen

Heart 1 Comment 0

We headed out of the RV park early in the morning to beat some traffic for Friday work and for holiday makers taking the day off to extend the long weekend.  We were both feeling pretty slow and sore to begin with but within 30 minutes we were underway.

We stopped for a long second breakfast and snack refill at a gas station in Crittenden while we waited out the the 9am traffic
Heart 1 Comment 0

This was a good call because once we started along the old Dixie Highway there wasn't a lot of shoulder or visibility. Thankfully we got a lot of chances to take side roads off of it and get some peace. 

At one point the side road suddenly ended, my GPS told me to cross the train tracks but the crossing had recently been torn out for safety reasons. We took off all our bags from our bikes to make them easy to pick up and move quickly and had a little rest on the other side of the train tracks.

Not really worth riding over this removed crossing
Heart 2 Comment 0

We popped up the other side in a small town and continued along the Dixie Highway again. This time it was much better going, with a few climbs but not much traffic or problems. The GPS did try to send me down another old road for a mile that had been torn out but we knew better this time.

We turned off into some very rural roads and headed up into the hills. Lots of climbing and scenery and hardly a house or car in sight. We both noticed we were starting to get a little burnt since we didn't put on sunscreen when we left in the morning but since we hadn't really been burnt the rest of the trip and we expected more shade and not too far to go we pushed on.

I really enjoyed this part of the day but we were getting tired again, why is the best riding always when we're worn out? I stopped enjoying it once the hills got very steep, maybe it was because we hadn't had a big lunch break but I felt like fainting at the top of one of the steeper 13% climbs. We stopped while I recovered and got some protein and gummy worms into myself.

One thing that surprised me about Kentucky is how still all the rivers are. The creeks and rivers looked stagnant out here, but there was a lot of signs of previous flooding in the banks above the road, and road signs warned of potential dangers.

Finally we popped up on an expressway and trundled down the shoulder a few hundred metres to our Motel for the night. This was the most basic Motel 6 ever, not an expense wasn't spared, I'm surprised they gave us soap. But it was a pretty good home for the night. We walked over the road to get some after sun lotion and hit up the Wendy's for some nutrition. This sun burn is going to blister I'm sure, I won't make the same mistake again.

Today's ride: 81 km (50 miles)
Total: 735 km (456 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 7
Comment on this entry Comment 1
Susan JamesYou can always ask at any churches you run across for free shelter for the night. They may not have showers but they are very friendly and supportive of cyclists.
Reply to this comment
10 months ago