Day 13: out of Cincinatti - NZ lad riding coast-to-coast in the US - CycleBlaze

May 25, 2023

Day 13: out of Cincinatti

Heart 1 Comment 0

We got in pretty late last night so a sleep in was due. Today's Thursday and Natalie flies out on Monday so we have a lot of time to get from Cincinatti to Lexington.

We had our complimentary breakfast with plenty of good cyclist fuel like coffee, eggs, and bacon. After checking out at noon (!) We planned our day in the lobby. We decided to head down to a campground outside of Walton, KY but struggled to get through to them on phone. We'd try again later on in the day.

Heading out of Cincinatti was okay until we got out of the Covington city limits, then the traffic really started to pick up and there were so many all-way stop signs, and not enough sight lines for vehicles to pass easily. After about 30 minutes we finally turned off any roads like that and had a completely peaceful ride for the rest of the day.

We spotted some deer in the suburbs eating some bushes, they seem to be everywhere here in the US.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0

Today was pretty hot, but it was hilly, frustrating, and had no shade. We were also a bit sleep deprived and in unfamiliar roads that weren't on official cycle route maps.

Eventually we came to our campground, who wouldn't answer the phone all day, and they no longer offered tent sites, only RVs. It was a going to be a few more hours out to the next campground and it was already 5 pm so after a bit of convincing we came to an agreement and the campground manager helped us find a spot that would work nearby.

We had an early dinner and an early night, ready for a longer ride tomorrow.

Because it's Memorial weekend this weekend I booked ahead for the whole weekend, one night at a Motel near Georgetown and then Saturday and Sunday nights in a Lexington hotel.

Campgrounds are hard to come by in this area and they all want bookings for the whole week.

Anyway, about 80km tomorrow and a shorter stint of 40 the day after and then a few days of resting.

Today's ride: 38 km (24 miles)
Total: 654 km (406 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 9
Comment on this entry Comment 0