A day of leisure: Riding the Rails from Geneva to Andermatt - Hey Buddy, You're Going the Rhone Way - Rhone Source to Sea 2018 - CycleBlaze

October 3, 2018

A day of leisure: Riding the Rails from Geneva to Andermatt

We had great sleep at Maude & Ben's, a good Swiss breakfast (pretty much what we eat at home too) and a grueling 5 km ride to the Geneva train station!.

Very painless to get our tickets to Andermatt, an inter-city train to Brig and then a transfer to the Matterhorn express, a cog rail that runs between Zermatt and St Moritz. We were taking the middle section from Brig to Andermatt and it was still very spectacular. A bright sunny day with a few clouds moving in when we got to Andermatt.

Overall a good recovery day and tomorrow we ride! We're staying at a very nice B&B, run by a woman named Belinda who travels to Canmore every year. It's good to be able to make connections like that!

This is our third time in Andermatt. The first was 29 years ago when K and I came through here and rode over Gothard pass to the south and on into Italy. The second was five years ago when we road east over Oberalp pass and then followed the Rhine river all the way to Rotterdam. Tomorrow we ride west over Furka pass where we'll pick up the Rhone and then make our way towards the Mediterranean. It should be fun!

Song of the Day...

The Bliss by Fortunate Ones ... 'cause yes, we are. Great little folk duo from St John's. Here's a little suggestion regarding SOTD ... I find it appealing to start the SOTD as soon as I get to a new page / day. If you're on computer (doesn't seem to work on a phone), the song will play away as you read the text and take in the pictures. For me it gives an additional flavour of what the day was like. Duh ... of course, we picked the songs 'cause they mean something to us ... hopefully they resonate with you too.

Buying the train tickets in Geneva
Heart 0 Comment 0
On our way - obviously not rush hour. We were the only people in the entire car for the 2+ hours from Geneva to Brig
Heart 0 Comment 0
On the Matterhorn Glacier express from Brig to Andermatt - the Swiss trains have bike transport dialed in
Heart 0 Comment 0
Beautiful Swiss country side in the upper reaches of the Rhone valley.
Don't know how that spooky ghost got into the picture. It almost looks like something from The Shining
Heart 0 Comment 0
We will be riding back down this valley tomorrow ... after climbing 1000 m up Furka pass
Heart 0 Comment 0
Beautiful Swiss Rhone Valley
Heart 0 Comment 0
On the Bikes in Andermatt
Heart 0 Comment 0
A good omen - our first trip kitty - a super friendly and playful kitten that was in a farm yard across from our B&B
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 0