Tying The Knot: Day 69 - Munich to Dillingen - Get It While It Lasts... A Big Loop Through Europe 2017 - CycleBlaze

October 15, 2017

Tying The Knot: Day 69 - Munich to Dillingen

After having a great time at the BMW museum, we set our plan for the next two days ... approximately 240 km north west to Stuttgart where we would visit the Porsche and Mercedes museums, and hopefully get a Porsche factory tour in too.

When we woke up I had an email from Porsche confirming the factory tour!

So today's goal was to do about half the distance, ending up in Dillingen on the banks of the Danube. We cycled through Dillingen on a very foggy morning about six weeks ago when we left Ulm. Over the next six weeks and about 3000 km's, we had made a big arc through 5 other countries, and today we would cross our original path, and hence 'tie the knot'.

To sum up the day succinctly, it was a glorious day of cycling. Perfect weather, lovely rural scenery and almost the entire 116 km route on dedicated bike paths, the vast majority paved, even as we rode through another large industrial city (Augsburg).

When we crossed the Danube from the south into Dillingen we had an odd feeing of deja vu. It was very foggy when we rode through here six weeks ago so it didn't look familiar, but it certainly felt familiar.

Both K and I were extremely happy with our decision to turn west three weeks ago, and today just cemented those feelings. We were still travelling in new territory, and we were going to be riding our bikes for the entire trip, start to finish. No planes or trains involved to get back to Frankfurt, just our legs and our bikes. Pure and simple.

Our hotel was plain and simple too. Pleasant, clean ... but with crap internet. No big deal, The journal can wait. Since it was Sunday, the dining options were limited, but we found a decent Greek place and were well fed.

Back at the hotel we started to make plans for Stuttgart tomorrow. That's when the wrench hit.

There were very few hotel / B&B/ Pension rooms available any where near Stuttgart, and the prices were obscene! Minimum 250 euro's per night for the most basic dive!! Stuttgart will have to be another time (if ever!). We'd much rather spend that kind of money on great food and wine rather than a place to sleep!

How about that Romantic road stuff then! A few minutes later, and a reorientation to the north, we've got a place booked in Dinklesbuhl (never heard of it before) and we're back to riding the Romantic Road again.

Heart 0 Comment 0

Song of the Day

Middle of the Bed by Lucy Rose

... just can't get used to German (or Austrian) 'double beds' ... most of the time they are just two singles pushed together with a gap down the middle, and even when you did get a solid bed, you get two duvet's ... which always leaves a gap down the middle! Made me think of this lovely little tune by Lucy Rose .... hope you enjoy it too

Three km's from our hotel (all on bike paths or lanes) in a major European city ... and we are into this! A stunningly beautiful fall morning!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Did I mention that it was a beautiful fall day?
Heart 0 Comment 0
over 100 km's of riding like this ..
Heart 0 Comment 0
.. and this .. not much more to say.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 116 km (72 miles)
Total: 4,912 km (3,050 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0