Second time Around: Day 23 - Waldshut to Stein am Rhine - Get It While It Lasts... A Big Loop Through Europe 2017 - CycleBlaze

August 30, 2017

Second time Around: Day 23 - Waldshut to Stein am Rhine

Another Dinner in Switzerland - immeasurably better this time
Heart 0 Comment 0

We had another very good day of biking today. A reasonably early start, breakfast of yogurt and modified 'avocado toast' sitting on a bench in front of a church, and then an interesting , and hot, ride to the chocolate box village of Stein am Rhine.

In between we stopped at Rhine Falls, quite impressive but with hundreds of tourists. When we did our Rhine trip in 2013, we were on the South side of the river and the views of the Falls were completely blocked by the rather large castle. To see the Falls from that side required an expensive ticket into the castle, which we declined.

No problems this time as the north side is fully open and provides a much more spectacular view.

We decided on a shorter day today so we could spend a bit more time in Stein am Rhine. It's pretty touristy but for a reason. It's a very beautiful village with an amazing town square. Also during our Rhine trip, we had lunch (all cake, pastry and coffee!) at this really cool place that had amazing artworks in it. One piece was a Grandfather-like clock that had a rotating belt with 'broken'' watches, all set at different times. As the belt rotated, each successive ‘broken watch attached to the belt would then show the correct time (more or less). We didn't get a picture of it then so Kirsten wanted to search it out again and get a pic.

We easily found the shop but unfortunately they had renovated and the clock was no more.

Yesterday's entry ended with me slagging off our Swiss dinner. That was made up for tonight. A very good and fairly simple dinner outside on a lovely patio beside the Rhine. Not cheap, but well worth it. We even had a feline dinning companion and a wonderful busker providing music.

This will be our only night in Switzerland on this trip, tomorrow we will start to head north towards the Danube.

Heart 0 Comment 0

Song of the day

New Soul by Yael Naim

A cool upbeat song that worked for me today

Tonight's feline dining companion
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rhine falls from the north side of the river. Spectacular view. When we were here in 2013 we were at the castle on the right, couldn't see a thing!
Heart 1 Comment 0
K enjoying the spectacle
Heart 0 Comment 0
Lovely covered bridge at Diessenhofen. I took the exact picture in 2013! This is the only stretch of the trip that we've 'doubled up'
Heart 1 Comment 0
Very talented violinist busking in front of the restaurant. He got applause from everyone, but we were the only ones to give him some dosh. He earned it. Lovely accompaniment to a great dinner.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The buildings in the town square at Stein am Rhine are all painted with beautiful Frescos
Heart 0 Comment 0
A look at the town square to the north
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 71 km (44 miles)
Total: 1,662 km (1,032 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 0