Poking Around Angers: Day 4 - Breathe Deep, Relax and Enjoy the Moment - Get It While It Lasts... A Big Loop Through Europe 2017 - CycleBlaze

August 11, 2017

Poking Around Angers: Day 4 - Breathe Deep, Relax and Enjoy the Moment

Well, today turned out as expected. We made it to La Maison du Bicyclette at 10 am and spent the rest of the morning with Florien. By noon he determined that he also didn't have the specific tool (Cle a cone SW-46 to be exact!) to remove the Gates cog from the Rohloff carrier adapter! We then tried phoning Rohloff in Germany and got through to their answering machine about 10 minutes after their office closed for the weekend!

Florien was again apologetic, and said we would have no problem getting the cog changed in Germany, but that's still about 1200 km away.But in France... (Gallic shrug)?

We ended up sending an email to Rohloff explaining our plight and we are hopeful that they will get back to us on Monday with a way to get the tool to a shop along the way.

We spent the rest of the day exploring Angers, which is a beautiful medieval city, catching up on this journal, charging our devices, and partaking of the patisseries.

We finished the day with a superb dinner at Autour d'un Cep. We got a prelude of our next day as the bottle of wine we had (thank you St. Vincent d'Espange) was from Saumur.

Sitting back home in Canmore putting together a SOTD playlist, and I've just realized that the day doesn't have one! That can't do ...

Also, we've had the luxury of looking back on the trip and reflecting on all the great sights we've seen ... and the great food we've eaten ... and this day in Angers ranks right near the top. So to honour that, SOTD goes to one of my (current) fav's that somehow missed it on all the other days ....

Johnny's Got A Boom Boom by Imelda May ... just a great song for a great day.

How's this for secure bike storage! Bike rack in the front lobby of the Ibis Angers
Heart 0 Comment 0
A couple of old guys having a chat in the Angers Cathedral
Heart 0 Comment 0
One of the stained glass windows in Angers Cathedral. Each panel depicts part of the story of Saint Vincent d'Espange. First, he's asked to abjure his faith. After refusing, he's tied to a stake and skinned alive. Then his body is stuffed with hot coals. He's then visited by two angels, dies, and his soul is received by Jesus depicted by a baby coming out of his mouth. Then his body gets thrown in the sea. Life was pretty rough back then! He may take some solace in that he became Patron Saint of winemakers! Let's raise a glass in his honour!
Heart 0 Comment 0
A beautiful rose window in the Cathedral. I've no idea what this one is depicting but it's gorgeous
Heart 1 Comment 0
The Angers Chateau (one small piece of it!) The classic conical French roofs were removed in the 1800's to enable cannon placement on the turrets
Heart 0 Comment 0
Quaint street scene in the old city
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Chateau by night. New 21st century virtual roofs!
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Cathedral by night
Heart 0 Comment 0
Entrance to the Chateau at night - very cool lighting
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 4
Comment on this entry Comment 0