Name That Tune: Day 32 - Straubing to Vilshofen - Get It While It Lasts... A Big Loop Through Europe 2017 - CycleBlaze

September 8, 2017

Name That Tune: Day 32 - Straubing to Vilshofen

Autumn is definitely in the air now. It was a clear but verging on cold morning when we pedaled off into Straubing to get breakfast. We went into the first Konditorei we came across and were amazed at the amount of (good) food we got for 5 Euro's. We both like how Germany does breakfast.

Despite our early start, we once again managed to putz around doing errands until about 10. On the way out of town we came across two large bike stores. We've been meaning to buy some disc brake pads before we leave Germany or Austria, as we may need them later and getting them easily past Austria could prove a challenge. They had everything we were looking for in the first store. But just to be sure, we (or I should say I) had to check out the second store too.

Once we finally got riding we ended up playing hop scotch with the French family (Mom, dad and two young kids) that were camped beside us last night. They are on their way to Vienna. Mom wants to continue on to Budapest but she's not sure the kids want to do that. We wished them well and thought ... been there, done that!

Once again just nice pleasant riding along river levees and deserted country roads. At one point when we were coming into a small village, we heard the unmistakable sound of a kid practicing their saxophone (our daughter played sax, so we know the sound well). As we got closer we could make out the melody of Scarborough Fair, the classic Simon & Garfunkle song. Both K and I immediately had a flashback to an impromptu family 'name that tune night' we had may years ago with the kids. That event really showed the generation gap we had. My Ipod, which had the whole family's music on it, was on shuffle. When one of the kids songs came up (think Blink 182 or Sum 41 ... that era of music), they got it within a couple of notes ... we were helpless. When one of ours came on (think Beatles, Tragically Hip, Springsteen), our daughter would shout out "Simon & Garfunkle", regardless of what was playing ... until the one time that Scarborough Fair came up ... and she was silent. Funny, for us. Boring as hell for everyone else!

When we pulled into Vilshofen we found a campground at the boat club. Once again a great deal, 5 Euros with great showers and a beer vending machine .... 1.50 Euro for a 500 ml bottle.

Vilshofen was a really cool little town. There was an airstrip beside us with mostly glider traffic, and a few nice cafe's and restaurants. We decided to eat at a small Italian place. Real small, real Italian. A young couple from Sicily had opened it up recently, and they were very friendly and gracious The menu was small but what we had, a mixed salad and then linguine with Chanterelles (once again ... they are in season!) was perfectly executed and delicious.

A very short day (about 30 km) to Passau tomorrow!

Heart 0 Comment 0

Song of the Day;

FM by Steely Dan

Still thinking about Steely Dan. I like them but I wasn't a huge fan, but with Walter Becker's passing I've been listening to their stuff again over the last few days. The tag line from this song ... No static at all ... pretty much summed up today. Smooth all the way through.

love the symmetry, color and precision of this field ... we've had the best salads in Germany . great produce and presentation ... and it starts here
Heart 1 Comment 0
All vehicle transport modes in one shot ... Autobahn and bridge in the distance, quiet country road and bike path along the river levee. You can just make out the river on the right ... it's becoming a working river now with lots of barges and cruise boats
Heart 0 Comment 0
... looks like something out of the 30's ...
Heart 0 Comment 0
Grandfathers teaching their grandkids to plough using vintage equipement
Heart 0 Comment 0
... have to keep the furrow straight ...
Heart 0 Comment 0
our campsite at Vilshofen ... another boat club ... 5 euro's and beer was 1.50! Great showers too .. we were the only folks in tents ... only bikers too
Heart 0 Comment 0
Night shot of Vilshofen ... very nice town
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 76 km (47 miles)
Total: 2,309 km (1,434 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0