Let Them Eat Cake: Day 39 - Grazing around Vienna - Get It While It Lasts... A Big Loop Through Europe 2017 - CycleBlaze

September 15, 2017

Let Them Eat Cake: Day 39 - Grazing around Vienna

I'm not much of an historian (surprise!) but as we were wandering around Belvedere Palace (one of several Palaces within a stones throw of each other) I discovered that Marie Antoinette was born here, the penultimate child of Empress Maria Theresa of Hapsburg fame.

Now Marie A came undone during the French Revolution and lost her head (literally). This nasty outcome was in part due to what in popular culture is probably her most famous utterance ... "Let them eat cake", which she made in response to hearing of the shortage of bread and the resulting famine and suffering imposed thereof on the French peasantry.

While she was no doubt out of touch with the masses, I might cut her a bit of slack after seeing where she grew up. I doubt she had much contact with 'ordinary folks'.  We did however take her famous words to heart since we were in her original hometown. We basically spent the morning doing exactly what she suggested. Not bad advice IMHO.

Much more of a real rest and rejuvenation day today. We slept in until about 8:30, did a bit of bike TLC, cleaned some clothes, and then set out ... to eat.

First stop for a lovely omelet (L) and muesli (K), Zum Shwarzen Kammel, a quaint little place that's been serving coffee, meals and cakes of course to the fine folks of Vienna since 1618. It was marvelous.  The folks at the Camel obviously are somewhat like me in that they can't do with just one cake. However,  they will eat several very small cakes. Sacrilege in my books, full size pieces or nothing! So after finishing our lovely breakfast we upped stakes and moved about two blocks away to Demel.

Now Demel is a relative upstart, having opened up in the 1700's. However their cakes are in proper big boy portions! This was one occasion where reliving the past did work. K and I were here for Sacher torte 28 years ago. We had something different this time but the overall experience was just as good. Although the interior is quite impressive, set out over several floors with their kitchens on display on the first floor, we chose to eat outside on the patio and watch several more column's of Vikings march on past on their invasion path. Pity that a cake stop wasn't on their itinerary.

After Demel's, we decided we needed a divisionary activity to control our blood sugar levels, so the afternoon was spent in the Hausdermusik ... a really, and I mean really cool place that invites you to "Take a Trip Into Sound". Over three floors it takes you through the world of sound, from your very begining (almost literally) through to conducting the Vienna Philharmonic.  You start at 'The Sonosphere' .. a whole floor devoted to interactive sound experiences. My favorite was the prenatal listening room , a simulation of the beginning of hearing, and feeling, in the womb.  Words can't really describe it, but I found it amazing ... a full body and sensory experieince.  Nothing in here was dry, it was all very interactive and innovative. We both had a great time.

This then set us up for our finale, a lovely dinner at Lebenbauer, a very friendly and refined vegetarian and fish focused restaurant. A great way to end our time in Vienna. Tomorrow it's back on the bike and on to Bratislava and Slovakia!

Song of the Day:

A Little Night Music by Mozart ... remix by Stefan Obermaier

This was one of the pieces we heard in the Sonosphere at the Hausdermusik..

"It's Mozart Jim, but not as we know it."

A lovely breakfast at the Black Camel aka Schwarzen Kammel... note the napkin ... since 1618 ...damn, we'll miss the 400th anniversary celebrations next year!
Heart 0 Comment 0
... and cakes at Demels ...
Heart 0 Comment 0
Don't go on the Tour ... BE the Tour. We probably had at least five columns of Vikings plod by, taking pictures of us eating our cakes at Demel, in the 40 minutes we were there
Heart 1 Comment 0
The inner workings of Demel
Heart 0 Comment 0
The focus and precision was amazing
Heart 0 Comment 0
fancy finished cakes in the foreground and the components of sacher torte laid out for assembly in the back!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Artistry in the kitchen
Heart 0 Comment 0
... have to come back for the savories next time
Heart 0 Comment 0
... and these too ...
Heart 0 Comment 0
It wasn't all eating .. a little touring around town. Lots of community and kids sports activates going on around city hall
Heart 0 Comment 0
... a kids recreation camp / demo was going on ... everyone was having fun in the sun!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Here she is .. Empress Marie Theresa .. looks like she's handing out cake to her daughter Marie Antoinette
Heart 0 Comment 0
Incredibly blue sky
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Austrian Natural History Museum
Heart 0 Comment 0
some mid afternoon thirst quenching in one of the gardens of the Hofburg Palace complex
Heart 0 Comment 0
A courtyard inside the Hofburg Palce
Heart 0 Comment 0
.. I love night shots of sculptures
Heart 0 Comment 0
.. and our last dinner in Vienna .. Lebenbauer ... lovely restaurant
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0