It Was Something I Said ... But It Was Pretty Obtuse: Day 62 Tarvisio to Spittal am der Drau - Get It While It Lasts... A Big Loop Through Europe 2017 - CycleBlaze

October 8, 2017

It Was Something I Said ... But It Was Pretty Obtuse: Day 62 Tarvisio to Spittal am der Drau

Our last morning in Italy, and it's quite wonderful to see the differences in culture that a few km's of road (or bike path) can throw your way.

Breakfast for example.

Today we woke up to another Italian breakfast buffet. Coffee, of course ... yogurt, a small assortment of cheeses, salamis and prosciutto ... and cakes. Lots of them. And it didn't start until 8. That's all okay by me, and K!

Eight km to the north in Austria it will be a 7 am start with muesli, ham, cheese, bread and butter coming out of your ears, and probably a few hard boiled eggs. That's all good too, particularly for a long hard day of biking.

Since we didn't have a long hard day of biking in front of us today, I had three pieces (each different and wonderful) of cake. Carbs are good!

We had another great day of biking along the CAAR route. Not as dramatic as the entrance to the Alps from Italy, but still beautiful. We started with a 30 km(ish) gradual downhill run into Villach (in Austria) where we had a very good and leisurely lunch. We followed this up with the last 50 (ish) km riding west along the river Drau to Spitall (lovely town, but the German language does not have the same ring as Italian). Although we're still in the mountains, the riding is very easy, and always on dedicated bike paths, mostly paved.

Part of our riding conversation today (which you can have as you ride side by side on a dedicated bike path without the fear of being shmucked by a 72 tonne truck) was that although the thought of riding through the 'stans' in central Asia, or some other 'exotic' local, might seem appealing, the reality is that time has likely past us by. Where we are now is our sweet spot.

Since it was Sunday, just about everything in Austria is closed. We're now used to this, so no big deal, but it was a bit odd that our hotel was actually closed (officially), but there was someone here to check us in. Odd, but it worked. We even had to unlock the door to leave for supper and then lock up again when we got home!

Even better, there were only two restaurants open in the whole town (it's not a small place), even the McDonanlds was closed. We applaud Austria (and Germnay too) for this approach. Life doesn't have to be 24/7, nor should it.

Anyway, back to the two restaurants that were open (notice the 'reversion to the mean' (i.e. food) that always occurs). One was a Mexican place that was a few km's away. The other was a Wienstube that was only about a km away. We opted for the Wienstube.

Home run. Overtime goal in the gold medal hockey game ... Choose your metaphor. It was a great night. We went in with no expectations, not particularly hungry, and were met with an incredibly friendly an energetic proprietor, a beautiful 'old world' setting with expertly prepared high quality food. Two thumbs (not one finger) up!

While K and I were savoring the last sips of our post ride ale, and preparing our palates for the upcoming treasures, we were thinking back to our conversation at lunch where we had come up with the perfect title for today's blog. It was so perfect that neither one of us had a scubie what it was.

That's when k said " It was something that I said ... but It was pretty obtuse "

Yes, it probably was. But it probably wasn't as good as that line, or the meal and bottle of Austrain St Laurent we were about to consume.

So there. Another day over.

Tomorrow is 44 km of (mostly) climbing to Malnitz. From there we take a 15 minute train trip through the Tauern tunnel that cuts through the main spine of the Austrian Alps, and then start going downhill towards Salzburg. We'll probably make it to Bad Hofgastein tomorrow, leaving us a short day on Tuesday into Salzburg where we plan on taking a day or two off the bikes. All work and no play stuff you know...

Heart 0 Comment 0

Song of the Day

I'm Lucky by Joan Armatrading

Another throw back song, and one thing that we did remember from our lunch conversation. K was talking about a song that she thought was called I'm Lucky. When I started to (badly) sing the Joan Armatrading song called that (which I love), it wasn't what she was thinking of ... but it was another ear worm that stuck. And it was very fitting for where we were ... in a beautiful town in Austria, on a beautiful day, two months into a bike trip ... I'm Lucky . I can Walk Under Ladders..."

Leaving Tarvisio on the fantastic CAAR bike route .. Austria for the second round 8 km down the road
Heart 0 Comment 0
There were a couple of streams on the way to the border and rather than put a bridge in, they had cement 'ditch's' with a few cm's of water flowing in them ... they worked well
Heart 1 Comment 0
On the Italian, Austrian (and almost) Slovenian border
Heart 0 Comment 0
Much broader valley leading into Villach Austria. Note the perfectly tended fields and yards ... back into Teutonic land!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Who would have thought that we'd find Highland Coo's in Austria ... and which way is up!
Heart 0 Comment 0
nice to have those horns when you have an itch
Heart 2 Comment 1
Scott AndersonHey, I think we saw this same little herd, along the Gail west of Villach.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
very easy cycling in broad river valley's
Heart 0 Comment 0
Today is Thanksgiving Weekend in Canada .. so thoughtful of these farmers to put this out for us along our ride!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Back in Austria ... birthplace and spiritual home of Marie Antoinette (she of cake fame!)
Heart 0 Comment 0
The interior of Karlheinz Mettnitzer Weinstube ... normally we find this kind of décor completely 'over the top', but here, in this setting, it was perfect .. as was the dinner. It was fun and refreshing service, not stuffy like the décor may suggest ... a real treasure
Heart 0 Comment 0
Good night from Spittal!
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 78 km (48 miles)
Total: 4,459 km (2,769 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0