Away With The Ferries: Day 43 - Visegrad to Budapest - Get It While It Lasts... A Big Loop Through Europe 2017 - CycleBlaze

September 19, 2017

Away With The Ferries: Day 43 - Visegrad to Budapest

Incredible luck with ferry timing today. We had a fairly short day today and decided to ride the east side of the river as far as God (just so we could visit God), and then cross back over to the west side to check out Szentendre, a very quaint old artsy village.

This would require at least two ferry crossings, and typical of us, we did zero research on when, or even if, the ferries were running. A thin dashed blue line across the river on the map ... good enough for us.

The first ferry was right at Visegrad, and we rode up about 5 minutes before it departed (once every hour!). Great timing. Also great riding on the east bank of the Danube down to Vac, mostly on dedicated bike paths. Once we reached Vac, where there was a large, regularly scheduled ferry service across the river, we rode right on through. You see, God was on this side of the river. There were two faint blue lines across the river from God to Szentendre, and we were confident that God would get us across the river.

When we arrived in God, we were unable to get a picture of any sign (you know how it is) and when we found the terminus of the faint blue line, it was a very small pier in a park, with steps leading down to it, and a very small boat ... on the other side of the river. Not another person in sight.

After a few minutes a woman arrived and informed us that the boat would be coming in 30 minutes. And so it did ... salvation. After loading our bikes onto the boat, and a short ride to an island in the Danube, we had a pleasant 20 minute ride to the other side of the island, and another blue dashed line. This time there was a boat on our side and we rode right on and departed immediately!

The terminus of this short ride was Szentendre, a beautiful but quite touristy town. It also started to rain when we arrived so that limited our sightseeing. From here we had a short 20 km (ish) ride in Budapest to meet up with Tracey. Easy to find their place, it is right on the Danube and right on the EV6 bike route.

We had a great dinner at a very good Greek restaurant, one of literally hundreds within a short walk of Abhi and Tracey's apartment.

We'll be spending the next few days kicking around this very beautiful city.

Heart 0 Comment 0

Song of the day ... what else but..

Budapest by George Ezra. Yeah it's a bit cheesy, but better than most of his music. How's that for faint praise!

Ferry number 1 ... odd set up, basically a barge with a tug lashed to the side of it!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Lovely riding on the way to Vac
Heart 0 Comment 0
Ferry number 2 - leaving God
Heart 0 Comment 0
Arriving in old Buda ... very cool, and appropriate, sculptures ... it was raining!
Heart 0 Comment 0
The view from Tracey and Abhi's apartment ... stunning!
Heart 1 Comment 0
Another night view of the Buda side of Budapest
Heart 0 Comment 0
Great dinner with Tracey (Abhi was in transit from Amsterdam)
Heart 0 Comment 0
Fantastic grilled Octopus .. excellent Greek restaurant
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 67 km (42 miles)
Total: 3,013 km (1,871 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0