We've come a long way ....: Day 2 - Surrey to Hope - And Then We Pedalled...... Cross Canada 2015 - CycleBlaze

June 4, 2015

We've come a long way ....: Day 2 - Surrey to Hope

A little nod to Michelle Shocked's ditty "We've come a long way and never even left LA".

A really nice day for cycling today as we made our way up the Fraser valley. A bit more mileage than we really needed on day 2, but we did it. Only about 30 km were on the Trans Canada, most of the ride was on quiet secondary roads (Wye Road south of Abbotsford and then the Yale road from Chilliwack to Hope) once we got out of the suburban sprawl of the lower mainland.

It was very interesting to see the change in the land use from urban build up /sprawl, to produce farming through to dairy, poultry and pork production. The Fraser valley is pretty intenstivly worked.

Thank you to Denise at the Greenvale market where we stopped for lunch for recommending the Yale road route to Hope. It was great.

Camping tonight in Hope. Campsite is about 7 km out of town so by the time we rode into town for dinner and then back to camp we put in about 150 km!

We're entering the mountains proper tomorrow. Target is Princeton, another 130 km with LOTS of elevation gain and loss.

David and Steph, thanks once again for putting is up last night and for the fantastic breakfast this morning. That's probably why we got as much mileage today as we did.

Heart 0 Comment 0

Song of the Day 

Hail Hail by Shovels and Rope

just because! Helpful tip ... if you start SOTD  as soon as you open a new page, it will play away in the background as you read the text and look at the pictures. For us it gives additional colour to how the day went ... that's one of the main reasons for SOTD!

Historic moment for today

Hope apparently has the World Chainsaw carving championships. Picture below shows the latest standard bearer!

The winner of the 2012 World Chainsaw Carving competition on Hope - Owen - Hope's other claim to fame is being the gateway to the BC interior. Other than going through Pemberton, this is where you have to come through.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Thanks Steph for the amazing breakfast (French toast, fruit, yogurt coffee) for 9 people at 7 in the morning!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Very quite roads south of Abbotsford. Lots of dairy farms
Heart 0 Comment 0
Good lunch and very friendly lady Denise working there. Good recommendation to take the Yale road to Hope.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Bill riding the quiet Yale road towards Hope
Heart 0 Comment 0
Well kept dairy farms are all over this part of the lower Fraser Valley
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 137 km (85 miles)
Total: 218 km (135 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 0