The Answer is Blowin in the Wind: Day 37 - Cook to Duluth - And Then We Pedalled...... Cross Canada 2015 - CycleBlaze

July 9, 2015

The Answer is Blowin in the Wind: Day 37 - Cook to Duluth

Long day into Duluth, a lot of it against a reasonable headwind. That's not the reason for the daily title though!

A prize awaits the first person to guess the real answer in the Guestbook.

We're taking a rest day today, will add more later.

Hello Lake Superior
Heart 0 Comment 0

Thanks to all those who entered the trivia contest. Runner up is Kim who got the rest of the lyrics to the timeless classic, but the winner is my sister Brenda who correctly noted that Bob Dylan was born in Duluth.

The prize is an all inclusive weekend ( or midweek or whenever) at Chez Kaarsoo-McLeod in Canmore.

We may try to search out the Zimmerman homestead later.

Although this was a long day, it has solidified our view that we made the right decision to take the south route through the U.S. Very good highways with some choice on what route you want to do. Although there are stil big stretches (50 km or more) with nothing but the odd farm, we knew that would be the case and the roads either have great shoulders with moderate traffic or else no traffic at all. That was the case with hwy 7 that we followed south for about 70 km's today.

It was nice to have some new company also. Bill Brooks is riding with us now (check out his journal on CGOAB) and for a good portion of the day we we riding side by side on no-traffic roads, solving most if not all of the worlds problems. We're getting good at that.

We were pretty late getting into Duluth and by the time we got checked into the hotel (which is about 7 km out of downtown to get something affordable) and showered, it was about 7:30. We caught a cab into down town, and hit Fitgers Brew Pub. Had a great dinner and a few cleansing ales. First day in a long time with real food (ie some veggies and green stuff rather than breaded and fried protein).

When we were finishing up dinner, Briand Morrioson a jazz guitarist from Gran Portage was setting up on stage. We weren't riding tomorrow so this called for a few more cleansing ales while we sat back and listened. Very nice!

Heart 0 Comment 0

Song of the day:

Mac the Knife ..... Live version by Briand Morrison...

Live music trumps canned every day

This video is of Briand (on the left)... just couldn't find one of him doing Mac the Knife, but this is pretty much what the night was like at Fitgers

Historic monument of the day:

Ariel lift bridge ... Photos and story still. To come

Loaded up with subway breakfast for the long day ahead
Heart 0 Comment 0
This is why we chose the south route through superior. We were the traffic.
Heart 1 Comment 0
More of today's ride. The alternative was a divided highway with full lane width shoulders and moderate and courteous traffic. Not a bad option.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Today's historical monument ..... The Ariel lift bridge into Duluth harbour ... The first of several pics .... I like cool bridges
Heart 1 Comment 0
A bit of history on the bridge
Heart 0 Comment 0
More bridge history
Heart 0 Comment 2
Jacquie GaudetVery interesting. I had no idea there were any transfer bridges in North America. According to Wikipedia, there were only two, both in the USA. The other was in Chicago, built for and demolished after the 1933 World's Fair.

As a retired civil/structural engineer, I too am fascinated by cool bridges.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Lyle McLeodAs a humble Chemical/Petroleum Engineer, I have to confess that I have no idea what the difference us between a Transfer bridge and an Ariel Lift bridge is. Until you posted this comment that detail of the bridge description had totally eclipsed me! I'm (slightly) intrigued to know the difference :)
One way or another, Duluth on a beautiful summer day is a cool place!
Thanks for reading along!
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Cleansing ales and live music
Heart 0 Comment 0
The end of a very good day
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 157 km (97 miles)
Total: 3,800 km (2,360 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0