Open Spaces and Open Minds: Day 23 - Outlook to Craik - And Then We Pedalled...... Cross Canada 2015 - CycleBlaze

June 25, 2015

Open Spaces and Open Minds: Day 23 - Outlook to Craik

Open spaces and open roads like we had this morning give you time to think. What was occupying my mind was how the prairies have changed dramatically within my lifetime, a pretty short period in the broad arc of history.

There are far fewer people living in the land then there used to be. In four to five generations we saw western settlement and homesteading, the rise of small scale agriculture giving way to more industrial scale Agri-Business and the depopulation of the small towns. However western culture still dominates.

However, from a First Nations perspectives those same 4 to 5 generations, a blink of the eye in societal terms, effectively saw the obliteration of their culture. It struck me that in the 2000 km we have travelled so far, we have seen very little evidence of first nations people or culture. This makes 'our' changes pale in comparison

This also got me thinking about the process of change, what drives it and who or what controls it. Now change is inevitable, everything changes: physical systems, social systems, culture systems, everything (except absolute zero, or a perfect vacuum). But from a human perspective its always better to be part of the change, or at a minimum having some input into the change, rather than having the change imposed on you, as Western cultures did to the First Nations.

As a society, I think our grade on this measure would be "Can do better" in the classic UK school grading system. I'm not tyring to start a debate here ('just putting out my opinion...) but I feel it's essential that those who are in the position of making decisions that effect broad swathes of society must take into account the full spectrum of the potential impact of any change. Don't screw up somebody else for your own benefit (individually or culturally)

When we reached Kenaston at the ~60 km mark, all this pontification stopped. It was getting hot and we had decisions to make. The first decision was easy, get some cold drinks.

There was a Co-Op grocery store and we got our drinks (chocokate milk of course) and pretty good nectarines. We also met two other cyclists Curtis and Andrew. They are going to chiropractic college in Toronto and are cycling across Canada along with Julie and Maggie on a supported ride. They are speaking at schools along the way to raise awareness of healthy lifestyles. We offered them one of our panniers but they politely declined.

The second decision we had to make was which way we were going to go. Our original plan was to continue on hwy 15 to Nokomis and then on to Yorkton and Dauphin in Manitoba. However we had been given repeated and consistent warnings that hwy 15 from here forward was in terrible condition with lots of construction and large sections of gravel. These are anethma to the Prairie Slayer.

Now the only two ways east of here on pavement, without going quite a bit north, are hwy 15 or south to Regina on hwy 11, the main divided hwy between Regina and Saskatoon, as the Qu'apple valley blocks any east west travel for about 150 km. We looked at Hwy 11, saw a busy road, not unlike the Trans Canada in Alberta (i.e good wide paved shoulder) and decided that this was a better option than continuing on the 15. Crystal, one of the women working in the Co-op also told us about a nice camp ground in Craik, about another 40 km down hwy 11.

All was good for about 10 km and then the nice 3 m wide paved shoulder disappeared. Thanks Sask Transport! What we were left with was any where from 50 cm to nothing for paved shoulder. Luckily the vast majority of traffic, mainly semi trailers, moved over to the far lane when they passd us, but it was not pleasent cycling.

We pulled off the hwy at the hamlet of Bladworth to have lunch (our standard tortilla wrap, hummus, avacado and cucumber). The only sign of life in th town was at the Hotel/bar, so Kirsten went off there in search of something cold to drink. I was just getting the bike parked in the shade of one of the (many) abandoned buildings when Kirsten emerged from the bar, calling me over. 

Margaret, the very kind proprieter was insisting that we come inside the air-con bar to make and eat our lunch. That was an easy decision. We had a great time chatting with Margaret and eating our lunch . The cold (root) beer went down well too. It turns out that Margaret lived in Canmore for 8 years and her daughter still lives there. What a small world! And what a kind gesture.

We left Bladworth and pedalled the last 20 m or so to Craik, stocked up on food for dinner, and set up camp at the very nice Craik Regional Park (sorry Craik, nice, but not nearly as good as Outlook!) Although there was no WiFi, I was able to uload pictures fairly quick though my mobile account, whereas on previous nights I had trouble doing basc internet searches.

Heart 0 Comment 0

Song of the Day:

Will The Wolf Survive by Los Lobos ...... one of my faves and it resonated with my thinking today about the changes that have been happening in all these small prairie towns, and the even more radical changes that occured ~100 years ago at the time of full white settlement of the prairies. Great song .... pretty cheesy video. I guess that's the '80's for you!

Historical Monument.

Norbert Welsh one of the last Buffalo hunters

Road side thistles. Makes you think we could be in Scotland
Heart 0 Comment 0
Making good prairie honey
Heart 1 Comment 0
I guess we're not in Scotland .... I am curious though if the thistles are native or imports with the scots settlers?
Heart 1 Comment 0
Kirsten with the 'last of the Buffalo Hunters'
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Buffalo hunter story
Heart 0 Comment 0
These abandoned school houses (and churches) are spread all across the country. There used to be thriving communities of 100 to 500 people all over, but as farms have consolidated and new generations moved to the cities, these towns have largely disappeared, leaving only remnants like this
Heart 0 Comment 0
We met Curtis and Andrew from Toronto outside the Co-op store in Kenaston. They are doing a supported ride across Canada (along with Julie and Maggie who were ahead in the van), speaking at schools to promote active and healthy lifestyles. Good stuff. Curtis and Andrew ride in the morning and Julie and Maggie ride in the afternoon. Their website is www.unleashyours.ca
Heart 0 Comment 0
Margaret at the Bladsworth bar. She very kindly invited us into the air conditioned bar to eat our lunch. Turns out she lived in Canmore for 8 years and her daughter and grand kids still live there, just down the street from our nephew Andrew. Thanks again for your kindness Margret!
Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 126 km (78 miles)
Total: 2,165 km (1,344 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0