Antipasto Course is Finished: Day 15 - Canmore to Calgary - And Then We Pedalled...... Cross Canada 2015 - CycleBlaze

June 17, 2015

Antipasto Course is Finished: Day 15 - Canmore to Calgary

This day is dedicated to Wilbert L. Gore.

It was a dreich day

"A combination of dull, overcast, drizzly, cold, misty and miserable weather". 

At least 4 of the above adjectives must apply before the weather is truly dreich - Urban Dictionary

The only good thing that can be said about today's ride is that its over. 

When it's like this the only thing to do is put your head down and cycle on, and we did, 99 km along the Trans Canada with constant rain, drizzle and road spray. At least the shoulder was wide and in good shape.

We pulled into our driveway in Calgary at about 4 pm, and were soon drinking hot tea and having hot showers. Our first leg is now over. 

After about 1400 km of some of the best biking terrain and weather we could imagine, today was just a teaser to let us know that it won't always be that way.

We're going to be taking a few days off, with a few back and forth trips to Canmore to get the reno moving along, boxing up the Silk Roads and shipping them to Brent in Sudbury, and getting the tandem loaded and ready to go on Sunday.

That's the day that is probably going to make this adventure very real for us. We've done many 2 - 3 week tours, and a good portion of the ride we just did was through very familiar territory for us. All that changes on Sunday when we head east out of Calgary and into the prairies.

Heart 0 Comment 0

Song of the Day:

Birthday by the Beatles .... 'cause its my birthday today! We cooked a nice dinner at home with friends Glenna, Dave, Phoebe (who's looking after our Calgary house) and our nephew Andrew (who very kindly drove our car back from the coast. Had a few bottle of wine and slept in for the first time in a couple of weeks!

Historical Monument of the Day:

Commemoration of Alberta's first Cheese Factory (that's right!) - this is the sign that started it all. At the highway 22 intersection just west of Calgary, this Alberta's History sign stands. We've driven past this hundreds and times, and never stopped to see what it was. Earlier this spring, Kirsten did stop and read it, and while the story of the Cheese factory wasn't that thrilling, it brought back memories of family trips where we would regularly stop and read these kinds of things. That's when Kirsten decided that we would do the same on this bike trip, and why not, we need to take breaks!

As an aside, we're also convinced that the name Ebenezer is going to make a comeback with the Hipster generation. There seems to be a lot of babies with 'Olde Tyme' names these days.

Leaving Gaye's place in Canmore - looking forward to 6 hours of rain
Heart 0 Comment 0
Take at break at Chiniki Village - out of the wet for a while but we couldn't get a hot drink anywhere here - only junk food, pop and so called 'energy drinks'
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Sign that started it all ... Here's to Ebenezer Healy and his Springbank Cheese factory
Heart 1 Comment 0
Looking West - there are mountains back there. Trust me.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Back home in Calgary - just a little damp
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 99 km (61 miles)
Total: 1,428 km (887 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0