Day 9 - Some interesting sites, some boring roads - The Long Way to Cleveland - CycleBlaze

May 23, 2023

Day 9 - Some interesting sites, some boring roads

I woke up after a pretty chilly night in the garden shed. John and Ann had breakfast scheduled for 7:30, and when I went into the kitchen, Ann was busy making a huge batch of waffles she was planning to freeze. She had made sourdough bread the night before, so breakfast was an amazing spread of bread, waffles, sausage, bacon, eggs... What wonderful hosts!

I had no destination in mind for the day, and after a leisurely breakfast, I decided that a 60 mile day would be plenty. I just need to figure out a place to stay. But that could wait.

After about 50 miles of riding, I came upon a county sheriff's deputy parked on a side road. I told him that I had about 15 miles left in me and was looking for a place to pitch a tent where no one would bother me. He couldn't think of any parks or campgrounds on my route but he did not recommend staying in the town of Sodus. He said they have lots of trouble there. I asked how far down the road that was. He said 15 miles. But after riding another 5 miles, I saw a sign for a park and campground. It was a little out of the way, but for peace of mind it was worth it.

Heart 0 Comment 0
John and Ann, fabulous hosts!
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
This looked interesting, so I stopped to see what they did.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Oak beams for sale.
Heart 1 Comment 0

 

Piling up cut off ends of slabs for firewood
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
A couple of these guys looked no older than 16.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Colin BakerThe Amish are incredibly hard working. There are a couple communities in Maine now, a large one in Aroostook up north. The sons are given land to start their own farms. In order to have a viable farm, it has to be 50 acres or more, especially with draft horses and other animals that eat a lot. Therefore the heads of families look for very large tracts of land of several hundred acres, so they can split land off for the sons. Aroostook has very large tracts of good farmland relatively cheap, and apparently so does upper New York State.
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
Heart 0 Comment 2
Colin BakerI like the leather aprons. Saves a lot of wear on clothing.
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
Jonathan DyerOSHA got some questions…
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
This is oak. Very heavy!
Heart 1 Comment 0
Across the road from the sawmill was this saddlery.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 1
Colin BakerThere must be horses around somewhere. I like the wood rack hanging from the ceiling. Good for easy access to different sizes.
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
Nuclear energy doing its part in Oswego.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This is Route 104. Mile after mile of nice shoulder, but no scenery, and no place to camp. Intensely boring.
Heart 0 Comment 1
Colin BakerThat keeps the tourists away, and so no campgrounds. I camped in large cemeteries a couple times. Go the back and it’s easy to disappear. But the cops will never send you there as a camping place. The depressions left by collapsing caskets are quite comfy.
Reply to this comment
10 months ago

Today's ride: 63 miles (101 km)
Total: 573 miles (922 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0