Day 4 - A cold start, with a promise of great weather - The Long Way to Cleveland - CycleBlaze

May 18, 2023

Day 4 - A cold start, with a promise of great weather

Heart 0 Comment 0

I sure am glad that I made it to the Airbnb last night. The temperature here did indeed get down well below freezing. But the high today is expected to be in the sixties, with sunny skies and greatly reduced wind. 

My accommodations were a bedroom in a mobile home. When Airbnb first started, this was what they had in mind, supplemental income for people willing to share their homes. For the retired couple that owns this place, it's really perfect. And they price it at basically the same as a campground, so it's perfect for me, too.

Heart 1 Comment 0
Everything a traveler needs.
Heart 0 Comment 0
My very gracious hosts from last night. He's a guitarist who plays bluegrass. But I didn't find that out until morning and it was too late to jam.
Heart 3 Comment 0

The day did start out on the chilly side, but as expected, by noon I was able to start shedding layers. Fortunately, not a lot of excitement today. I passed through Middlebury, and Burlington, and I'm currently at a warmshowers host in Colchester, VT, a very nice gentleman named Fernando, originally from the Dominican Republic. His daughter had done a cross country bike trip some years back with an organization called bike and build. It's a non-profit that raises funds to promote affordable housing. Unfortunately, she is not living with her father anymore. It would have been fun to talk to her about her trip.

Good advertising, but a waste of a good car as well.
Heart 3 Comment 2
Colin BakerThat’s quite a sculpture. Clearly a Godzilla fan.
Reply to this comment
11 months ago
Jonathan DyerCan’t save ‘em all. You’re getting quite the eye full of “Americana” on this trip.
Reply to this comment
11 months ago
I'm not going down that road.
Heart 3 Comment 0
just some peaceful cows.
Heart 5 Comment 1
William AustinI hate cows more than coppers!
Reply to this comment
11 months ago
A view of the Adirondack mountains. The plan is go around them.
Heart 2 Comment 0
There are a lot of very nice farms in this area, but quite a few old barns in very poor shape.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 1
Colin BakerMissing some roof. A bad sign
Reply to this comment
11 months ago
Fool me once, Google...
Heart 3 Comment 1
Jonathan DyerBut the road less travelled… 😝
Reply to this comment
11 months ago
Heart 0 Comment 0
Is there any other kind?
Heart 9 Comment 0
This is part of the route that the Katzins and Jeanfavres rode a few years back.
Heart 2 Comment 0
UVM field house
Heart 0 Comment 0
This was a gentleman I met on the bike path in Burlington who kept me captivated with his stories. Actually, it was more like captive, because he wandered all over the place. In the end he admitted that he might be suffering from dementia. But still, a very nice man.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Fernando was the greatest host. He made Mexican Tostadas for dinner, and then we drove down to the harbor to see the sunset. We were a little late, but it was still beautiful down there. After that he showed me evening sites in downtown Burlington. It's a pretty cool town

Fernando making Mexican Tostadas for dinner
Heart 5 Comment 2
Colin BakerWow…host, cook, and tour guide all in one. What more could you want?
Reply to this comment
11 months ago
Lou KatzinHow wonderful to be reminded that there still are plenty of good generous folks out there.
Reply to this comment
11 months ago
Just after sunset in Burlington.
Heart 9 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0
Evening scene in Burlington harbor with Alleghenies in the background.
Heart 3 Comment 0
With Fernando at the harbor.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Live music at Red Square. They were pretty good.
Heart 3 Comment 1
Mark WhiteI know Burlington is a liberal-minded town, but "Red Square"... really.
Reply to this comment
11 months ago
Colorful fountains in the park in downtown Burlington.
Heart 5 Comment 0
Driving the bus in Ben & Jerry's
Heart 6 Comment 1
Jonathan DyerDoes that count as cheating…? 🤔
Reply to this comment
11 months ago

Today's ride: 66 miles (106 km)
Total: 250 miles (402 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 5
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Jonathan DyerLove Burlington, great city, beautiful scenery, planning to get back with the camper and a bike.
Reply to this comment
11 months ago
Charlotte KatzinWhat a wonderful host and guide. I'm amazed that you had the energy to go out and see the sites in Burlington, but obviously so worth it. Loving the photos and stories.
Reply to this comment
11 months ago